I love to cook something tasty and a little bit special for breakfast or brunch on Christmas day usually after we've done pressies under the tree and the kids are settling down to playing with their toys or games and we've got some Christmas music on, it just feels so special and these gingerbread pancakes are like Christmas in every bite.
If you want something a little different from your basic pancake recipe then these Christmas Gingerbread Pancakes are light and fluffy, with a hint of cinnamon and ginger.
They're PERFECT for Christmas Day Breakfast!
What are you having for Christmas day breakfast?
The only day of the year where you're supposed to indulge at every single meal, plus fit in some canapes, glasses of fizz and selection box chocolates too. Phew!
📋 What do we need?
In order to make these delicious spicy Gingerbread Pancakes, you'll need.
*For the spices to give these pancakes that signature gingerbread flavor I'm using:
- Ground Ginger
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Cloves
- And a pinch of salt
I'm looking forward to whipping up these Gingerbread pancakes for Christmas morning. Topped with fresh fruit and a drizzle of maple syrup, and served with a steaming hot cappuccino. Yum!!
📺 Watch how to make them
Full recipe with detailed steps in the recipe card at the end of this post.
👩🍳PRO TIP I like to make them in small batches so I have enough room in the pan to flip them. You can keep them warm in a low oven whilst you make the rest of the batches.
I might even go for a bit of edible glitter...
The kids absolutely love them, although I imagine they'll be too distracted by the presents to really focus on breakfast!
Maybe I'll make them for Christmas Eve dinner instead.
Who says I can't have pancakes for dinner!!
🥓 More Christmas Breakfast Recipes
If these gingerbread pancakes aren't your thing then here are some of my other Christmas Breakfast ideas:
🍽️ What to serve them with
I like to serve these pancakes with:
- Some fresh berries
- A knob of butter
- Mapple syrup - OBVIOUSLY! 😋
- You could even add in some bacon too.
- To make them extra Christmassy i also add in some edible glitter and mini gingerbread people cake toppers.
Stay updated with new recipes!
Subscribe to the newsletter to hear when I post a new recipe. I’m also on YouTube (new videos every week) and Instagram (behind-the-scenes stories & beautiful food photos).
🥞 Gingerbread Pancakes Recipe
- 180 g (1 ½ cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda - baking soda
- 2 tbsp dark brown (or molasses) sugar
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp dried ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 large egg - lightly whisked
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 190 ml (¾ cup) buttermilk
- 120 ml (½ cup) milk
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- maple syrup
- mini gingerbread men cake toppers
- fresh cranberries
- edible gold glitter
Making The Pancake Batter:
- Place the flour, baking powder, baking soda, both sugars, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves into a large bowl. Mix together until combined.180 g (1 ½ cups) plain (all-purpose) flour, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda, 2 tbsp dark brown (or molasses) sugar, 2 tbsp granulated sugar, pinch salt, 1 tsp dried ginger, 1 tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp ground cloves
- Add the egg, vanilla extract, lemon zest, and buttermilk, then mix until just combined using a balloon whisk.1 large egg, 1 tsp vanilla extract, zest of 1 lemon, 190 ml (¾ cup) buttermilk
- Once combined add in the milk whilst continuing to stir with the whisk.120 ml (½ cup) milk
Cooking The Pancakes:
- Melt a knob of the butter in a large frying pan (skillet) over a medium heat, then carefully brush the butter around so the pan is finely coated.1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Pour in enough mixture to make two to three pancakes (approx. 60ml or ¼ cup of the mixture per pancake) and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the pancakes over when bubbles form on top and then burst, and the edges start to look firm. Cook on the other side for another 1-2 minutes.
- Repeat with the rest of the mixture until all the pancakes are cooked (you can keep the pancakes warm in a very low oven whilst you’re making each batch).
- Serve the pancakes topped with a pat of butter and a drizzle of maple syrup. You can also decorate with mini gingerbread men cake toppers, cranberries, and a little edible glitter.butter, maple syrup, mini gingerbread men cake toppers, fresh cranberries, edible gold glitter
This recipe was first published in December 2016. Updated December 2021 with new photos, an improved recipe, and a video showing you exactly how to cook these delicious pancakes.
🎄 More Festive Baking Ideas
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.