My Mexican Shashuka with dippy eggs, poached in a rich Cajun tomato sauce. Finished off with plenty of toppings and flatbreads for dipping of course!
It's the perfect meal to spice up your breakfast.
If you love eggs for breakfast, and you're a fan of everything spicy, then this shakshuka is for you!
Filling and satisfying, yet pretty low on the calories.
Ha ha - like I ever really take notice of that when I'm making recipes. Have you seen my brisket sandwich with saute potatoes and coleslaw coming in at a little under 1200 calories? (It's delicious by-the-way 😋).
Low calorie or not, this is a great weekend brunch.
🔪 How to make Shakshuka
Full recipe with detailed steps in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- We start by frying up onions, peppers, garlic and chilli.
- Then we add in tinned tomatoes, a little sugar, paprika, Cajun spice, Chipotle, cumin and a little salt and pepper. Let that bubble away for 10 minutes or so to thicken up.
Once it's thickened, make 4 hollows in the sauce, using a spoon, and crack an egg into each. Then simmer for another 4-5 minutes, until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
👩🍳PRO TIP Crack each egg into a little dish first, then you can more easily pour it into the hollow without it spilling everywhere!
Serve the dish as it is, or if you like to go crazy with the toppings like I do, sprinkle with red onion, sliced avocado, chilli flakes, fresh coriander and drizzle with sweet chilli sauce and sour cream.
📺 Watch how to make it
🍲 More fantastic Brunch ideas
Stay updated with new recipes!
Subscribe to the newsletter to hear when I post a new recipe. I’m also on YouTube (new videos every week) and Instagram (behind-the-scenes stories & beautiful food photos).
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion - peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper - deseeded and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic - peeled and minced
- 1 red chili - chopped
- 2 x 400g (14 oz) tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp Cajun spice
- 1 tsp chipotle sauce
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp Chilli flakes
- 1 avocado - peeled and chopped
- 1 small red onion - peeled and finely sliced
- Small bunch coriander - roughly torn
- 3 tbsp soured cream
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion for 5 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the red pepper, garlic and chopped chilli, cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, sugar, paprika, Cajun spice, chipotle, cumin and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle bubble and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use a spoon to make 4 hollows for the eggs.
- Crack the eggs individually and pour into the hollows.
- Simmer gently for 5-6 minutes until the white is cooks and the yolk is still runny. If you want to makes the whites set faster, you can cover the pan with a lid or some foil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle on the chilli flakes. Top with chopped avocado, red onion coriander, soured cream and a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce.
- Serve with grilled flatbreads for dipping.
This post was first published in March 2016. Updated August 2021 with extra photos, video and housekeeping.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.