Are you extending that January health kick like me?
Ha ha I like the way that sounds like I’ve been all about the fitness and good eating for the past month. In reality January was more of a comfortable warm-up.
A few workouts and some healthy meals, interspersed with the odd G&T and bar of chocolate.
A gradual weight loss (7 pounds in the last 4 weeks) that I should probably be happy with. But I want those pounds to disappear faster!!! because:
a. I’m lazy. As much as I like the idea of running and lifting weights, and early-morning workout sessions, I just want the results without having to do all that stuff.
b. I’m greedy. I like big portions, snacking and basically planning my day around food.
I’m pretty sure I’m not alone on this. It’s a constant battle for a lot of us.
Have you been watching How To Lose Weight Well on Channel 4? They test 6 different diets on different people each week. I’m so addicted to that programme!
One guy lost over a stone in a week on the Slim Fast plan!!! I looked at Chris with a ‘shall we try it?’ look. He talked me out of it in about 7 seconds (thank goodness – I lasted one day on that diet when I tried it a few years ago). I’m such a sucker for a quick-magic-weight-loss-diet.
So I’ll go through the odd spurt of planning to be really really good, staying away from chocolate, and getting in 4 workouts a week…..
But I’ll probably stay in comfortable warm-up mode until those remaining 7-8 pounds disappear too. Which means you’ll see a few more lighter recipes on the blog. This one is my healthier, slow-cooked chicken rogan josh. ❤️❤️
I’m using Frylite instead of regular oil for this syn free curry, and I’m flavouring with tomatoes, garlic and lots of spices. No creamy coconut milk or double cream in this rogan josh! I like to serve it with a good blob of natural yogurt (you can go fat-free if you prefer), and a little topping of finely chopped mint, onion and tomato.
If you’re on slimming world – this rogan josh recipe is syn-free on Extra Easy – so long as you use the fat-free yogurt. If you likes this then why not try my healthier slow cooked spicy beef curry , my Skinny Thai Green Curry or if you want something less spicy then my syn free Chicken and Red Pepper Pasta.
In order to make this slow-cooker Rogan Josh you will need:
- Slow Cooker/Crockpot
- A Fying Pan/Skillet if you cant cook directly on the hob with your slow cooker insert.
- A Garlic Press.
- A good Kitchen knife.
- Chopping Board.
- Measuring Spoons
- Wooden or Silicon Coated Spoons. We have just bought these and love them!
The Slow Cooked Spicy Chicken Rogan Josh Recipe:
Healthier Slow Cooked Spicy Chicken Rogan Josh
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic peeled and minced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp natural yogurt (use fat-free to make it syn free on slimming world)
- 4 chicken breasts chopped into bite-size chunks
- 10 squirts Frylight spray (or other 1 cal-per-spray oil)
- 2 onions peeled and finely chopped
- 2 red peppers deseeded and chopped
- 3 fresh red chillies finely chopped
- ½ a bunch of fresh coriander (cilantro) chopped (chop the stalks too and keep those separate)
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato puree (or paste)
- 240 ml chicken stock (water plus a stock cube is fine) use bouillon for gluten free
- 1 x 400 g (14oz) tin of chopped tomatoes
- 4 cardamom pods (thread them onto a piece of cotton so you can fish them out easier later)
Onion, mint and tomato salad
- ½ a bunch of fresh mint finely chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1/4 onion peeled and finely diced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- natural yogurt (use fat-free to make it syn free on slimming world)
- small bunch fresh mint roughly torn
- boiled rice (or cauliflower rice)
- Place the ginger and garlic in a bowl, along with the turmeric, cumin, pepper and yoghurt. Mix together, then add in the chicken pieces and mix again. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Spray 10 squirts of frylight in a large frying pan pan (or the insert to your slow cooker if you can use it on the hob like mine. I use this Slow Cooker <--affiliate link), turn the heat to high and add the marinaded chicken. Lightly brown all over (should take about 8-10 minutes) Remove the chicken and place in a bowl.
- Add the onions, red peppers, chopped chillies, the stalks from the coriander (cilantro), cloves, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, paprika, salt, pepper and tomato puree to the pan. Cook for 5 mins on a medium heat, stirring regularly, until the onion starts to soften. Turn off the heat, add 4tbsp of the stock and carefully (cover if needed) whizz into a puree with a hand blender (or transfer to a food processor if you prefer).
- Add the puree back into the pan, then add the chicken, remaining stock, chopped tomatoes and cardamom. Stir and bring to a simmer, then transfer to your slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5-6 hours. Alternatively, you can cover and cook on the hob for 1 1/2-2 hours on a low heat, stirring regularly.
- Whilst the Rogan Josh is cooking, make the onion, mint and tomato salad by mixing all of the salad ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Once cooked, serve the Rogan Josh topped with a spoonful of natural yogurt, some torn/chopped fresh mint and the coriander leaves from earlier (the ones you removed the stalks from). Serve with the onion, mint and tomato salad, plus some boiled rice if you like.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.