This chicken and quinoa salad bowl makes a fantastic energy-boosting lunch!
I don’t know about you, but lunchtime sandwiches always make me feel so lethargic. A biscuit (or three) usually follows soon after in an effort try to wake me back up again (like that’s actually gonna work!).
So I’m on the hunt for energy boosting lunches!
Food that makes you feel fantastic, but tastes amazing. Being able to make it ahead is a major bonus too – as I’m terrible for grabbing a sandwich or a slice of cake come midday because I can’t be bothered to make something.
If you have a favourite quick and easy lunch idea I’d LOVE to hear!
This is my current favourite salad. Roast chicken, piles of quinoa and salad all served with creamy avocado, salty feta and a citrus-y lemon vinaigrette!
Make it the night before, look forward to it all morning, then probably tuck in about 10:30am…..
I hope you enjoy this yummy Chicken and Quinoa Salad Bowl.
The Chicken and Quinoa Salad Bowl Recipe:
Chicken and Quinoa Salad Bowl
- 200 g Quinoa (I used three-colour quinoa, but regular is fine)
- 1 vegetable stock cube crumbled (or 1 heaped tsp of bouillon powder for gluten free)
- 70 g baby spinach
- 1 ripe avocado peeled and de-stoned and roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 clove garlic peeled and minced
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 70 g salad leaves
- 2 cooked chicken breasts I like to use the meat from a whole roasted chicken, cut into slices
- 1/4 red onion peeled and sliced
- 10 cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 100 g feta, crumbled
- Small bunch fresh parsley chopped
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 100 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the quinoa in a pan with the stock cube and water. Cook as per pack instructions (usually this is 600ml of water for 200g quinoa, then boil and simmer for 20 mins). Place the baby spinach in the pan on top of the quinoa and place a lid on for the last minute to wilt the spinach. Remove the lid and leave to cool.
- Make the vinaigrette by whisking all of the vinaigrette ingredients together.
- Place the chopped avocado in a bowl with the lemon juice, garlic salt and pepper. Mash together roughly with a fork (I like to leave a mine quite lumpy and rustic looking).
- Place the cooked quinoa in a large serving bowl. Top with the salad leaves, sliced chicken, wilted spinach, mashed avocado, red onion slices, cherry tomatoes and crumbled feta. Sprinkle with parsley before serving with the vinaigrette.