When the evening chocolate craving strikes, this Caramel and Nutella Bread Pudding is what you need. A completely indulgent pudding, in the oven in 10 minutes and in a bowl on your lap, in front of the TV, 30 minutes after that.
Just imagine - breaking though the crunchy, sweet crust into a soft, custardy, spongey centre smothered with the happy sweetness of Nutella and caramel sauce. If you're feeling extra extravagant then why not top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of the warm caramel sauce. Trust me, it reaaally hits the spot.
I was having the dilemma a couple of days ago. The kids were tucked up in bed, and I fancied something sweet. I'm trying not to sit on the sofa with cakes and chocolate every evening nowadays, but every so often I just really really need something.
Those health experts who say 'have a couple of pieces of dark chocolate, it's richer, so it'll satisfy your craving' are talking rubbish. Who wants a couple of pieces of something that doesn't taste as good as what I actually want?
Anyway, I thought I'd turn to Chris for a bit of morale support on the no-evening-snacking. His response? 'Yeah yeah yeah go and make something, I'll help you eat it'.
Clearly the battle was lost, so I told him I'd only make something if he'd photograph it for my blog. That way, it served a better purpose than me just making a 2000 calorie snack because I'm a sweetie loving weakling.
Unfortunately, a caramel and Nutella bread pudding doesn't look drop-dead drool worthy straight out of the oven. In fact it just looks kind of bubbly and brown. Not a picture I really want to share. However, it did taste so good, it just wouldn't be right to show you only the first picture that's been strategically covered with ice cream and caramel sauce (again, had to add those things for the picture, not for me.......). So here goes.......
Don't judge a book by it's cover:
Yeah, not great is it. Let's just say it's got a great personality 🙂
This is not a: place-on-the-table-at-your-dinner-party-and-listen-to-your-friends-say-oooh-and ahhhh type of pudding.
This is a: I-need-something-deliciously-sweet-and-spongy-and-chocolatey-in-my-face-right-now kind of pudding.
So put it in the oven, lick the Nutella spoon whilst you're waiting, devour every bite that comes out of the oven. And maybe have salad for lunch tomorrow.
The Caramel and Nutella Bread Pudding Recipe:
Caramel and Nutella Bread Pudding
- Preheat your oven to 170C. Take a jug and mix the eggs, cream, vanilla extract, light brown sugar and cinnamon. Put to one side.
- Take your bread, and spread two of the pieces with Nutella and two of the pieces with the caramel sauce. Sandwich the Nutella piece with the caramel piece (so both of the fillings are on the inside). Repeat with the other two pieces. Cut each sandwich into four triangles, so you have 8 altogether.
- Take a medium sized deep baking dish (mine is about 15cmx22cm and 6cm deep) and arrange the triangles upright in the tin. I alternated crust side up and crust side down.
- Pour the egg/cream mixture all over the bread, and sprinkle the Demerara sugar on top. Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes. Keep an eye on the pudding for the last 10 minutes to ensure the bread doesn't burn. You could place some foil on top if it's going too dark.
- Take out of the oven and serve on it's own or with ice cream or custard (and maybe an extra spoonful of caramel if you like).
Nutritional info obtained from caloriecount.about.com - based on 4 servings without ice cream or custard.