Some simple but totally addictive cheesy snacks for you today!
Ok, let’s talk crispy bites of mashed potato with oozy, melted cheddar cheese in the middle, covered in crunchy breadcrumbs. I think I could eat 50 of them…
Since these bites are a little on the naughty side, I decided to bake them instead of frying them.
You can still get a lovely, golden crunch without frying breaded food like this – the secret is to add a little oil into the breadcrumbs. Not so much that the breadcrumbs stick together, but just enough so each of the the crumbs has a little bit of oil absorbed.
I’ve added some smoked paprika to the breadcrumbs too – which enhances the golden colour, but also adds a lovely, delicate flavour.
I sometimes serve these up with baked beans for dinner (which of course the kids absolutely love!)
A couple of other variations include adding; Baked Spinach and Goats Cheese Croquettes, Baked Ham Hock and Cheddar Croquettes with honey mustard dip or how about Finely chopped, cooked bacon, spring onions (scallions) or cooked chorizo. Droool!!
What would you add to yours? I’d love some more ideas 🙂
If you’ve tried my recipe then please rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing your thoughts and add-ons to my recipes!
You can also follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, and TWITTERto see what I’m up to in the kitchen, what recipes i’m loving, and of course YOUTUBE to see our latest recipe videos!
Baked Cheesy Potato Croquettes Recipe:
Baked Cheesy Potato Croquettes
- 2 cups leftover mashed potato chilled
- 10 x 1.5cm cubes strong cheddar
- 1 egg lightly whisked
- 90 g plain/all-purpose flour you can use gluten free all-purpose if required
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 100 g panko breadcrumbs or homemade breadcrumbs made from slightly stale bread - use grated gluten free bread if required
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 200c/400f and put a flat baking tray to one side.
- Place the egg one bowl, the flour, salt and pepper in a second bowl, and the breadcrumbs in the third bowl. Sprinkle the smoked paprika onto the breadcrumbs and then drizzle the oil on too. Mix the breadcrumbs, paprika and oil together so the the oil absorbs into all of the breadcrumbs.
- Take a heaped tablespoon of mashed potato and flatten it in your hand. Place a cube of cheese in the middle and wrap the mashed potato around it. Shape into a cylinder shape. Dip the croquette into the flour, then into the egg and finally into the breadcrumbs, ensuring the croquette is completely covered. Place on the baking tray and repeat with the rest of the mashed potato.
- Ensure there is a little space between each of the croquettes on the tray, then place in the oven for 12-15 minutes until the croquettes are golden. Don't overcook or the cheese will start to seep out and the croquettes will flatten out a little.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes before serving with a squirt of ketchup and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.