Easy Creamy Potato Salad - My dad’s recipe that I’ve been eating (and making) for over 30 years! Perfect to go with any party table alongside all the other delicious appetizers!
It’s one of those recipes that I’ve never been sure whether to write about. It’s so simple, and it’s not even made with posh ingredients like crème fraiche, lemon zest and Greek yogurt.
Nope, this is the potato salad from my childhood. My dad’s version that I go back to all the time.
It’s one of those recipes that you test for seasoning, and then can’t help but scoff 3 more spoonfuls before you’re ready to share it with everyone else.
📋 What do we need?
- Salad cream is a creamy and tangy salad condiment, primarily sold in the UK. You may be able to find it on the international aisle of larger grocery stores in the US.
Here's an affiliate link if you wanted to buy it online or, I've created my own simple recipe for Salad Cream if you wanted to make your own.
- White pepper - this is a must and really makes the flavour of this recipe! You don't need a lot, about ¼ tsp is all you need.
- Potatoes - I like to use floury potatoes, as I like how the edges break down and become a little fluffy after boiling. If you prefer your potato salad to have potatoes with firmer edges, use waxy potatoes instead. You can even replace with baby new potatoes if you like (it's fine to leave the skin on if you're using new potatoes.
🔪 How to make it
**Full recipe with detailed steps in the recipe card at the end of this post.**
- Peel potatoes and chop into bitesize pieces, then boil them for about 7-9 minutes, until tender. Drain and leave to cool a little (they don't have to be completely cooled).
- Place the potatoes in a bowl with finely chopped onion, mayonnaise, salad cream (this is a UK condiment, but I have got a recipe for homemade salad cream if you can't find it) white pepper (yes it MUST be white) and a little salt.
- Stir it altogether, then cover and refrigerate until fully chilled (at least 30 minutes, up to overnight).
👩🍳PRO TIP Don't leave the potatoes to cool too long, as boiled potatoes can start going grey after a little while (usually after 15-20 minutes or so). This is due to an enzyme in potatoes that reacts to the air. Once the potatoes are mixed with the other ingredients, there's no longer a risk of them turning grey.
Perfect served as part of a buffet, picnic, or with barbeque food.
My personal favourite way to eat this is on a crusty roll with slices of roast beef. Believe me, you haven’t lived until you’ve had a potato salad and roast beef sandwich.
Anyway, I'll stop now and leave you with this yummy Easy Creamy Potato Salad!
📺 Watch how to make it
🍲 More fantastic Picnic recipes
Easy Creamy Potato Salad Recipe
- 5 medium-sized potatoes - I like red-skinned potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-size chunks
- ½ small brown onion - peeled and chopped very finely
- 6 tbsp full-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp full-fat salad cream**
- ¼ tsp white pepper - this is a must – it can’t be replaced with black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives - optional
- Pinch of black pepper - optional
- Place the potatoes in a pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 7-9 minutes until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and leave to cool.
- Place the cooled potatoes in a mixing bowl
- Add in the onion, mayonnaise, salad cream, white pepper and the salt.
- Stir everything together to combine. Taste and add a little more seasoning if needed.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (up to a day) before serving.
- Just before serving sprinkle with chopped chives and a little black pepper if you like.
You can replace the potatoes with baby new potatoes if you prefer. If you're doing that, then you don't need to peel them. Type of potatoes I use Rooster potatoes, which are floury potatoes, as I like the fluffier edges that you get after boiling them. You can use waxy potatoes if you prefer a firm edge to your potatoes. Can I make it ahead? Yes! This potato salad needs chilling anyway, so you can make it, cover and chill the potato salad.
It should keep fine, covered in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. How to scale up and scale down this recipe You can scale up or scale down this recipe using the same ingredient ratios. ** Salad cream Salad cream is a creamy and tangy salad condiment, primarily sold in the UK. You may be able to find it on the international aisle of larger grocery stores in the US.
Here's an affiliate link if you wanted to buy it online or, I've created my own simple recipe for Salad Cream if you wanted to make your own. Nutritional Information is per serving. I've based the calculation on this recipe serving 8 people.
This recipe was first published in August 2017. Updated in April 2021 with new photos, video and some housekeeping.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.