Crispy bacon and melty cheese mixed with creamy, buttery potato and baked once more in a crunchy potato skin. These Stuffed Potato Skins are serious comfort food. The cheese and bacon combination mmmmmmmm.
This is ‘let’s-watch-Lego-movie-AGAIN-and-sit on-the-sofa-eating-these-things-with-our-hands’ kind of food.
And make sure you make extra so you can have it all over again for lunch the next day.
I think the kids will be disappointed to move back to packed lunches rather than leftover Stuffed Potato Skins/meatballs/sticky chicken etc. when they go back to school next week. We’ll also go back to saving our special breakfasts like blueberry lemon cheesecake bagels for the weekend.
I can’t believe the kids have been off for nearly 6 weeks! Since finishing work I feel like I’ve been busier than ever with holidays, days out with the kids and doing various housey things. I’ll miss them when they go back to school, but it’ll be nice to spend a bit more time baking and photographing when the kids aren’t looking at me with pleading eyes whilst they’re waiting to tuck into anything I’ve made.
I’m not kidding, my daughter was stood over me whilst I was photographing this shot above, desperately trying to sneak a piece of bacon. A bowl of cherry tomatoes only stalls them so much. If I don’t get photos done in 10 minutes I know I’m in serious trouble!
The Stuffed Potato Skins Recipe:
Stuffed Potato Skins
- 8 small floury potatoes - such a Maris Pipers
- 6 rashers of streaky bacon
- 2 tbsp double/heavy cream whole milk is ok if you haven't got any cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 175 g of your favourite cheese I used a mix of 75% mature chedder and 25% red Leicester, grated
- 4 spring onions/scallions chopped
- Preheat your oven to 190c. Prick your potatoes with a fork and start them off in the microwave. Put all the potatoes in the microwave and microwave on high for 10 minutes (alternatively you can add 20 minutes to the cooking time in the oven).
- Put your potatoes in the oven, directly on the shelf and cook for 35-45 minutes until they're crisp on the outside and soft on the inside (you can check this by stabbing a knife into one of the potatoes to see if it slides in easily.
- Crispy your bacon under the grill and chop it into pieces. Put to one side.
- When your potatoes are ready, take out of the oven and chop each of the potatoes in half. Pick up a potato half (using a tea towel to protect your hands) and using a spoon, scoop out the insides into a large bowl. Repeat with the rest of the potatoes. Add the cream, butter and salt & pepper to the bowl and mash using a potato masher or a fork until the potato is fluffy. Add in the bacon, the cheese (reserving a small handful for sprinkling on top) and the spring onions (reserving a tbsp for sprinkling on top). Mix together. Take one of the potato skins and put a spoon full of the potato mix inside. Put the potato in a baking dish and sprinkle with a little of the reserved cheese. Repeat with the remaining potatoes.
- When all of the potatoes are stuffed, put them back in the oven for 10-15 minutes (same temperature). Take out of the oven and serve sprinkled with the remaining spring onion/scallions.