Chicken and veggies in a creamy sauce topped with crispy potatoes. My Creamy Chicken and Potato Bake is a whole meal in one dish! Perfect cold day comfort food.
Kind of like a creamy chicken, carrot and spinach casserole, topped with potato gratin!
Chris is an early riser, like 5am most days, and i have been trying to get up a bit earlier too. In an ideal world, I'd go to bed at 10pm, be asleep by 11pm and get up at 6am.
Why is 6am so hard?? Has anyone got any tips? Is anyone else out there a night owl who's been able to swap it round and get out of bed as soon as the alarm goes off? I'm a snooze button addict (minimum 10 x snooze. I know it's bad, but that's how much I hate getting out of bed).
Anyway let's get on with the recipe. This one uses cooked chicken - so you could use leftover chicken or a rottiserie chicken.
All of the filling gets cooked in one pan, before being transferred to a baking dish, and topped with lots of potato slices.
***ONE PAN TIP*** You can also miss out the step of transferring to a baking dish if the frying pan you used for the filling is oven-proof. That's totally what I would have done if I wasn't photographing this one.
If you like your creamy chicken dinners, try my Chicken and Mushroom Pie, Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole (I think that would work great as an alternative base for this potato-topped recipe too), Creamy Chicken & Tortellini Soup, Tuscan Chicken or my favourite Creamy Chicken Puff Pie.
The Creamy Chicken and Potato Bake Recipe:
Creamy Chicken and Potato Bake
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion - peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - peeled and minced
- 3 medium carrots - peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 4 tbsp white wine
- 215 ml (1 cup minus 2 tbsp) double/heavy cream
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 100 g (1 packed cup) mature cheddar cheese - grated
- 50 g (½ cup) Parmesan cheese - grated
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Pinch of dried thyme
- 375 g (13oz) cooked chicken - approx. 3 chicken breasts, shredded
- 100 g (3 ¼ packed cups) baby spinach leaves
- 350 g (¾lb) baby new potatoes - thinly sliced (no need to peel)
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- Fresh thyme to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion, garlic and carrots and cook on medium heat, stirring regularly until the onion softens.
- Add the wine, bring to the boil, then simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add the cream and mustard and stir together. Heat through until almost boiling, then stir in both cheeses, along with a good pinch of salt, pepper and dried thyme.
- Add the cooked chicken and spinach and heat through until the spinach wilts.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into a large baking dish, then layer the potatoes on top, starting from the outside and working inwards. Once covered in the potato slices, brush with the melted butter and sprinkle on a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven to bake for 30-40 mins, until the potatoes are tender and golden brown.
- Top with fresh thyme before serving.
In order to make this Creamy Chicken and Potato Bake you will need:
- A good Kitchen knife. I have recently bought this Dalstrong one and love it.
- Chopping Board
- A Mandolin
- Cheese Grater
- Measuring Spoons
- Garlic Press
- A frying pan/skillet
- Wooden or Silicon Coated Spoons. We have just bought these and love them.
- Baking Dish. Note: This is not the exact one we use in the photos but i cant find that one on amazon. This should do the job though.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.