Simple roasted radishes make a great, lighter alternative to potatoes. Easy to prep and bake - no peeling or par-boiling like potatoes.
I love to season them with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder, then toss in a little oil and baked until beautifully golden brown.
Sometimes I just get a bit potato-ed out. You know what I mean?
Now don't get me wrong, I love my carbs. Pretty much all of my meals are served with rice, pasta, potatoes or bread!! Which is why i've always totally sucked at keto diets.
Give me 4 days on keto, and I'm a snarling grumpy something-or-other, who no-one wants to be around.
These roasted radishes are pretty keto friendly.
That is, if you don't serve them up with mashed potato, like I have on one of my photos below 😁
📋 What do we need?
- Plenty of radishes. They shrink a little when roasted, so I use quite a lot - about 100g (just under ¼ lb) per serving.
- I use the round or cylindrical radishes - that are red/pink or purple in colour.
- Oil - your favourite oil for baking is fine. I use olive oil.
- Seasoning - just salt, pepper and a little garlic powder. You can use more spices if you prefer - such as paprika, chilli powder or even a little cumin or Cajun spices.
🔪 How to roast radishes
Full recipe with detailed steps in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Place halved radishes on a metal baking tray and toss with oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Bake in a hot oven (200c/400f) for about 30-35 minutes, until golden.
- That's it, done. Super easy!!
You can serve them in place of potatoes, or as well as potatoes - as I have here in my creamy pork and apple casserole recipe.
🍽️ What to serve them with
Some of my favourite main dishes that work well with roasted radishes (apart from the casserole above) are:
Would you use them as a potato replacement? or serve them alongside potatoes?
I'd love to hear what you'd serve them with (let me know in the comments below).
🍲 More fantastic side dishes
Stay updated with new recipes!
Subscribe to the newsletter to hear when I post a new recipe. I’m also on YouTube (new videos every week) and Instagram (behind-the-scenes stories & beautiful food photos).
- 400 g (14oz) radishes - sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 200c/400f.
- Place the radishes on a baking tray and drizzle over the olive oil.
- Sprinkle on the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Toss together using your hands or a set of tongs, until the radishes are coated in the oil and seasoning.
- Arrange the radishes into a single layer on the tray, then place into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden.
- Serve right away.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.
We tried these as a side dish to a beef casserole. Everyone agreed that they were a delicious change from our usual sides. Thank you for the idea😋
Do they lose their heat once they are roasted?