Chicken breast, wrapped in bacon, smothered in tangy barbecue sauce and topped with melted cheese. A British pub classic that you can easily make at home for a quick weeknight dinner.
No pans are needed - we cook it all right in the baking dish.
Use shop-bought barbecue sauce, or you can make my 10 minute homemade BBQ sauce.
Sitting in a pub garden on a hot day eating Hunters chicken with a pile of salty chips and a cold beer.
I can't wait for those days. Hopefully soon we can all be enjoying family meals out again.
I love how quick and easy this recipe is - a few minutes of prep, then the oven does all the work.
📋 What do we need?
- Chicken - chicken breasts are best, as thighs are a little small. Be sure to trip the chicken breast of any fatty bits you don't want to eat.
- BBQ sauce - you can use homemade BBQ sauce or store-bought.
- Bacon - use rindless streaky bacon - these thin strips are best for wrapping around the chicken
- Cheese - I use a mixture of grated mozzarella (gives a nice stretch) and strong cheddar (for flavour).
📺 Watch how to make it
**Full recipe with detailed steps in the recipe card at the end of this post.**
👩🍳PRO TIP If you're using shop-bought BBQ sauce you can pep it up with a little honey, smoked paprika and/or chilli powder for a sweet, smoky or spicy version (you could use one, two or all three if you like!).
Just 5 ingredients and 30 minutes you've got a family-pleasing dinner on the table.
Also, if you've never tried it, a hunters chicken wrap is a real crowd please too!
To make this, cut the cooked hunters chicken into slices and serve hot in tortilla wraps or soft flatbreads with crispy lettuce and red onion 👌
🍲 More fantastic Chicken Dinner recipes
Stay updated with new recipes!
Subscribe to the newsletter to hear when I post a new recipe. I’m also on YouTube (new videos every week) and Instagram (behind-the-scenes stories & beautiful food photos).
- 4 chicken breasts
- 8 rashers/strips streaky bacon - smoked or unsmoked – your preference
- 240 ml (1 cup) BBQ sauce - Use good quality store-bought, or my quick homemade BBQ sauce (I used homemade).
- 50 g (½ packed cup) grated/shredded mature cheddar cheese
- 50 g (½ packed cup) grated/shredded mozzarella cheese
- Chips or mashed potatoes
- Veggies – such as carrots - green beans or broccoli
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Wrap each chicken breast in two rashers/strips of bacon and place in a shallow baking dish.
- Place in the oven and cook for 25 minutes – until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle.
- Remove the dish with the chicken from the oven. Spoon the BBQ sauce on and around the chicken.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the cheddar and mozzarella.
- Place back in the oven for 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- Serve the chicken with mashed potatoes and vegetables.
- Crumbled Lancashire, Cheshire or Wensleydale for a bit of tangy-ness
- Gouda or Gruyere for a slight nutty flavour
- Crumbled Stilton if you're a blue-cheese lover
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.