Pan fried chicken in a creamy white wine and garlic sauce with mushrooms. I love this for a luxury dinner served with sauteed potatoes and greens.
Ready in 25 minutes it makes a tasty and impressive date night dinner or a lovely alternative to a Sunday roast.
One of the things that makes this dinner great for date night is that Chris lovingly gives me all of his mushrooms.
I've been working on him for 17 years to get him to eat mushrooms, and I can still only get him to eat them when they're chopped up into tiny pieces and hidden in something like spaghetti bolognese.
I get that they've got a unique texture, but I just don't understand what's not to love!
This particular recipe serves 4, as I think it makes a nice family meal or dinner party meal too.
But you can easily scale it down if you're just serving it for two.
What do we need?
- Chicken breasts - I'm using 4 chicken breasts, but if you like you can use two large ones and slice them in half horizontally to give you four fillets.
- Salt, pepper and thyme for seasoning
- Onion and garlic for flavour
- Mushrooms because yum.
- For the sauce - white wine, chicken stock and double/heavy cream
How to make this chicken with white wine sauce
Full recipe with detailed steps in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and brown them on both sides in a pan with a little oil.
- Add onion and mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes, then add garlic and thyme and stir together.
- Add white wine and bubble it up for 5 minutes, then add stock and cream.
- Cook for a further 3-4 minutes, then serve the chicken sprinkled with fresh thyme.
What to serve it with
You can serve this tasty recipe with:
- Try adding spinach, parmesan, asparagus or sliced leeks for a different spin.
- Sprinkle with crispy bacon before serving
- Swap the chicken for pork loin steaks for a nice change
More fantastic creamy chicken recipes
- Tuscan Chicken
- Creamy Chicken and Potato Bake
- Creamy Chicken Pot Pie
- Creamy Chicken Pasta Alfredo Bake
- Creamy One Pan Chicken and Mushroom Casserole
- Creamy Chicken & Vegetable Soup
Watch how to make it
Stay updated with new recipes!
Subscribe to the newsletter to hear when I post a new recipe. I’m also on YouTube (new videos every week) and Instagram (behind-the-scenes stories & beautiful food photos).
Chicken in White Wine Sauce with Mushrooms Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 8 chestnut mushrooms - sliced
- 1 small onion - peeled and chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic - peeled and minced
- ¼ tsp dried thyme - or 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 120 ml (½ cup) white wine
- 120 ml (½ cup) chicken stock
- 180 ml (¾ cup) double (heavy) cream
- fresh thyme
- Heat the oil on a large frying pan (skillet) over a medium/high heat.
- Season both sides of the chicken breasts with the salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken breasts to the pan and cook on both sides until golden (about 6-8 minutes). They don’t need to be cooked through at this point – they’ll continue cooking in the sauce.
- Add the onion and mushrooms to the pan and cook for 3 minutes, until lightly softened.
- Stir in the garlic and thyme and cook for the 30 seconds.
- Add the wine and turn up the heat to high. Bring to the boil, then simmer until almost all of the liquid has evaporated (this will take about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the stock and cream and heat through for 2-3 minutes.
- Check the chicken is cooked by checking it's no longer pink in the middle, then turn off the heat and place the chicken breasts on 4 plates.
- Spoon over the sauce and serve with your choice of sides (I love green beans and sauté potatoes with this dish). Sprinkle over the fresh thyme and serve.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.
Are the instructions for making this dish just the same for doing it with pork loin medallions
I have made this twice now and everyone loves it
This was fabulous! I cooked the sauce down by mistake and added more wine, cream and broth. Came out delicious
Yum! I prefer to cook this with mini fillets as they absorb the flavours more rather than whole chicken breasts. I also add some cornflour (mixed in a little water) to thicken the sauce before adding sour cream or creme fraiche at the end.
Very nice; easy to prepare and delicious.
Looks delicious. Can't wait to try it.
Lucy Green says
Easy to follow instructions, beautiful flavour very tasty rich flavour
This was delicious and so easy to make , another one of your recipes we have really enjoyed , thank you.
Karen Davenport says
Fantastic recipe .enjoyed by all the family kare
Never made this from scratch before. Recipe looks so easy it is a no-fail dish. Giving it a try. Wonderful!
I'd like to make this into serve 8 for a dinner party. How would I need to adjust the cooking space in the pan to have room for the increased volume of ingredients? Thank you!
Nicky Corbishley says
Hi Lisa, I'd suggest using two pans for this, as it's going to be difficult to have 8 chicken breasts and the rest of the ingredients in the pan. You really need all of the chicken breasts to be touching the base of the pan to brown and cook properly. Hope that helps 🙂
Absolutely love this recipe. I just double or triple the sauce every time and probably add a lot more mushrooms. Thank you for this
Oh I forgot to say I put this all over angel hair pasta
Trevor Young says
Hi. I have some of the sauce from the chicken dish left over (delicious) can it be frozen
Excellent lovely sauce chicken stayed nice and moist
Janie P says
Just made this for our dinner, wow! Easy, quick but above all super tasty! Served with sauté potatoes, broccoli and peas it was a fantastic meal, definitely going on the faves list 😀 thanks Nicky