This Crock Pot Butter Chicken is creamy, spiced and delicious – an easy recipe that’s perfect for the slow-cooker.
I first put this recipe up on the blog nearly 3 years ago, and it’s totally stood the test of time!
So much so I decided to re-photo and republish it. I’ve left one of the old pics in there (the one using the bowls), and I’ve also left the old blog post in there – where I’m talking about Chris’s request for waffle makers and deep fat fryers (we’ve now got both. Hmmm how did that happen!).
The slow cooker’s still going strong too – I’m still using the same one as I refer to in my post. Hope you enjoy xx
I got a new slow-cooker yay!!
I’ve lived without one for a year now after the ‘chicken charcoal’ incident (If you want a laugh, have a look at the picture I took before I threw the whole meal and slow-cooker away. It’s in my recipes fails from last year).
I considered not replacing it. After all, I work at home now, so it’s just as easy to put something in the oven and keep an eye on it.
Chris has also had his eye on a waffle maker and a deep fat fryer. I told him there simply wasn’t enough room in our little kitchen for more new stuff.
Then I went and bought this baby<–Affiliate link.
So yes, I am a bit naughty, but it’s so good!! And also you can sear your meat directly on the hob in the bowl of the slow cooker. No need to dirty two pans!! Is that enough of an excuse? Did I get away with it?
One thing Chris did say when I admitted I bought it was ‘you shouldn’t be buying things, it’s your birthday soon’.
I think he was joking. Slow-cookers aren’t birthday presents are they? No intelligent, loving husband would buy their wife a slow-cooker for their birthday would they?
Husbands, if you’re reading this, then the answer is no.
And hoovers, toasters and microwaves are off the list too.
That’s not to say I don’t love this slow cooker though (I guess girls are complicated!). This Butter Chicken was the first meal I made in in and it worked perfectly!
It’s creamy and spicy – but not too spicy for the kids to enjoy too. Perfect with a bowl of fluffy rice. I usually use chicken thighs when I’m cooking chicken for a long time, but I only had chicken breasts in the fridge. However, they worked great and remained lovely and tender.
So I got a slow-cooker to replace the one I ruined, saved Chris from making a birthday present mistake and made this amaaaaazing butter chicken. Now I just need to figure out where I’m going to store my new toy….
The Crock Pot Butter Chicken Recipe:
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 700 g chicken breast approx. 4 large chicken breasts, diced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 large piece of ginger about the size of your thumb, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 240 ml (1 cup) chicken stock water plus a stock cube or bouillon for gluten free is fine
- 2 x 400ml/14oz tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp sugar
- 6 cardamom pods sew them together with a piece of string so you can easily fish them out later
- 175 ml or 3/4 cup double/heavy cream
- Handful of chopped coriander to serve
- Preheat your slow cooker to high.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large pan, add in the onion and chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes until the onions are softened and the chicken is sealed.
- Add in the garlic, ginger, salt, garam masala, curry powder, paprika and cinnamon. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add in the stock, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, sugar and cardamom. Stir then pour into your slow cooker and cook for 4-5 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
- Remove the cardamom then stir in the cream and allow to heat through.
- Serve over rice sprinkled with some coriander
Nutritional information is per serving and does not include rice.