I've still not given in and bought a fryer yet.
Chris really wants one, but I'm worried I'll end up posting ten different recipes for chips over the next month - because I'm sure that's all I'd eat!
- Chips with chilli
- Chips with homemade gravy
- Crispy chicken and chips
- Chip butties
They all sound okay for future recipes?
Yeah, maybe not.
So rather than frying these onion rings in a big pan of hot oil, I've baked them!
Breadcrumbs, parmesan, a touch of seasoning and a drizzle of oil, baked in the oven until crunchy, they really take that bacon cheeseburger to a new level. AND if you love that baked Parmesan taste then why not load up with these Baked Parmesan Carrot Fries as a perfect side to this super tasty burger.
And not forgetting a drizzle of special sauce.
Ok, a mixture of all the condiments in my fridge door. It works though 🙂
His brother is gluten intolerant, but I simply used a gluten-free roll, and then grated another gluten free roll to make the breadcrumbs for his onion rings. It worked out great!
Two happy workers - especially when they were treated to a dark & stormy or two after the work was done 🙂
The Bacon Cheeseburger Recipe:
Bacon Cheeseburger with Baked Parmesan Onion Rings
- 1 large onion
- 4 tbsp plain/all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 75 g panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp fajita seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 450 g minced (ground) beef — ideally 20% fat
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 8 rashers streaky bacon
- 4 brioche buns - toasted
- Large handful curly lettuce
- 6 cherry tomatoes - sliced
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp yellow mustard
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sweet BBQ sauce
- 1/2 tsp sriracha
- Preheat the oven to 230c/450f and prepare a large baking tray.
- Peel the onion and slice into thick slices. Separate the slices into individual rings.
- Place the flour, garlic salt, and black pepper into a bowl and mix.
- Break the egg into another bowl and whisk lightly with a fork.
- Place the parmesan into a third bowl and add the breadcrumbs and fajita seasoning. Mix together and then drizzle over the olive oil. Mix in the oil so the breadcrumbs are all covered in a little oil.
- Dip the onion rings into the flour mixture, followed by the egg and finally the breadcrumbs before placing onto the baking tray. You may need to sprinkle on a few more breadcrumbs once on the tray to make sure they're fully covered in the breadcrumbs. Repeat with the other onion rings. I tend to only use the larger onion rings (saving the smaller rings for another recipe).
- Place the onion rings in the oven and cook for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and crunchy, then take out of the oven.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle or large frying pan until hot and brush with the vegetable oil.
- Mix together the minced beef, pepper and salt in a bowl and form the mince into 4 patties. Place the patties on the griddle and cook, turning once until well browned on the outside and no-longer pink in the middle (about 5-6 minutes). If you want the cheese melted, add the cheese on top as soon as you turn the burgers over. Take the burgers off the griddle when cooked and leave to rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Whilst the burgers are resting, place the bacon rashers on the griddle and cook for 2-3 minutes, turning once, until crisp.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together and put to one side.
- Now it's time to assemble the burgers. Place the lettuce on the bottom of each of the burger buns. Add the burger to each bun, followed by slices of tomato. Top each with 2 or 3 onion rings and two rashers of bacon. Place the top of the bun on the burger and serve.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.