Did I ever tell you how much I love this Dark ‘N’ Stormy cocktail?
I think I’ve mentioned it once or twice.
My old school buddy Helen introduced me to this spicy refreshing cocktail a few years ago, and now I have to order it every time we go out for a couple of drinks.
Garnish with a slice of lime and serve. So good on a hot sunny day (check out Chris gulping it down like a dehydrated fish (fish? – don’t know where I got that from, but you know what I mean) at the end of the video).
Personally, I think Kraken spiced rum is the absolute best rum to use (no I’m not getting paid to say that :-)). It’s an aromatic, rich and spicy spirit – and coming from someone who usually can’t stand the taste the smell of rum, this stuff is amazing!
I like a cloudy, spicy ginger beer to go with it. John Crabbies (non-alcoholic) is great. I used to use Old Jamaica – but unfortunately they started adding sweeteners to the non-diet version and I don’t like the taste anymore.
I’ve also been known to pour in some regular alcoholic Crabbies (double booze – very naughty). I just realised that I’m starting to sound like a bit of a booze-head, but actually I’m generally not much of a drinker.
My vice is definitely 🍫chocolate🍫. The cocktails are saved for nights out with Chris (we try to get a date night every few weeks or so), and also sunny Sundays with the BBQ sizzling away. This cocktail is pretty strong, so I can only manage a couple before I start getting giddy (I am a bit of a lightweight though).
Check the full video on how to make my favourite cocktail:
Or how about some more cocktails recipes – I’ve got plenty!
Cheers! Here’s to more sunny BBQ Sundays and date nights!
The Dark ‘N’ Stormy Recipe:
Dark 'N' Stormy Cocktail
- 8 oz (240ml) spicy ginger beer - I like John Crabbies cloudy Ginger Beer
- Juice of one lime
- Lime slices
- 4 oz (120ml) spiced rum - I like 'The Kraken' Spiced rum
- Fill two 12oz mason jars with ice.
- Add the ginger beer, lime juice and a slice of lime to each glass.
- Very carefully and slowly pour the spiced rum on top - so it stays in a separate layer. You can do this over the back of a spoon for a more defined separate layer.
- Add a straw and a slice of lime to the top of the glass then serve!
Tips for swapping out the ginger beer or rum:I use John Crabbies cloudy ginger beer and Kraken spiced rum for this recipe. You can replace these with other spicy ginger beers and spiced rum though. I've used the following before now: Ginger Beer:
- Belvoir Organic Ginger Beer
- Fever-Tree Ginger Beer
- Fentimans Ginger Beer
- Goslings Black Seal Rum - this is the official recognised rum used in a Dark 'n' Stormy
- Captain Morgan's spiced rum - this is a pretty good replacement, but i'd always look for the Kraken or Goslings rum first.
Nutritional information is per glass.
This post was first published in June 2016. Updated in August 2019 with tips, step by step photos and a video.
|Buy Mason Jar Glasses|
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.