The perfect vegetable spring roll is a tantalizing fusion of fresh, crunchy vegetables, aromatic seasoning, and a delicate, crispy wrapper. This is my step-by-step guide to making the perfect crispy spring roll.
I'm going to cover how to make the signature vegetable spring roll filling, which wrappers to use, and how to fold and roll them so they're perfect every time!
Crispy spring rolls filled with a seriously flavourful vegetarian filling. I love to serve them with lots of sweet chilli sauce for dipping.
For the veggies, I like to use carrots, white cabbage, red pepper and bean sprouts but you could add in some mushrooms, spring onions (green onion) or whatever you like really.
It's important that you get the spring roll wrappers that are specifically for spring rolls.
I use the TYJ Spring Roll Pastry. This is a traditional egg roll pastry that you can get from some larger supermarkets, most Asian supermarkets and they're available on Amazon HERE < Affiliate Link.
I strongly recommend this over rice paper wrappers or filo pastry! I find rice paper and filo pastry breaks too easily - either during the rolling or frying.
Also, spring roll wrappers are slightly thicker, with more of a dense crunch, once fried.
📺 Watch how to make it
Full recipe with detailed steps in the recipe card at the end of this post.
Making the spring roll filling
- We're going to start off by making the filling.
- Fry off the veggies in the oil over medium heat.
- Add in the sauce ingredients along with a little of the cornflour slurry.
- Place the filling in a small bowl to let it cool.
How to wrap spring rolls
- Place a spring roll wrapper on a board with the corner facing you.
- Add a heaped tablespoon of the filling.
- Start rolling into a sausage shape.
- Fold in the two side corners.
- Continue rolling then wet the last corner.
- Roll and seal the spring roll, then repeat until you've used all the filling.
👩🍳PRO TIP If you want a meat version, you can add thin strips of cooked pork, chicken or duck to the pan, when you add the beansprouts.
🍽️ What to serve with Spring Rolls
These vegetable spring rolls are perfect as an appetiser with some Sweet Chilli Dipping Sauce or Sweet and Sour Sauce. However, you could serve them as a side dish alongside your favourite fakeaway recipe, such as:
🍲 More fantastic Chinese appetisers
If you love this vegetable spring roll recipe then here are some more of our favourite Chinese restaurant-inspired appetisers:
Stay updated with new recipes!
Subscribe to the newsletter to hear when I post a new recipe. I’m also on YouTube (new videos every week) and Instagram (behind-the-scenes stories & beautiful food photos).
Vegetable Spring Rolls Recipe
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil - (or other neutral frying oil)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 carrots - peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 140 g (5 oz) green or white cabbage - thinly sliced
- ½ red bell pepper - deseeded and thinly sliced
- 140 g (5 oz) fresh beansprouts
- 2 cloves garlic - peeled and minced
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp cornflour - mixed with 2 tbps of cold water to make a slurry, (cornstarch in USA)
- oil for deep frying
- 10 spring roll pastry wrappers
- Start by making the filling. Heat the sunflower oil and sesame oil in a frying pan or wok over a medium-high heat.1 tbsp sunflower oil, 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Add the carrot, cabbage, and red pepper and stir fry for 1 minute, until slightly softened.2 carrots, 140 g (5 oz) green or white cabbage, ½ red bell pepper
- Add the beansprouts and garlic and toss together, cooking for 1 minute.140 g (5 oz) fresh beansprouts, 2 cloves garlic
- Add the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and white pepper and toss together, then add in tiny splashes of the cornflour slurry, until the vegetable mixture is slightly sticky (you may not need all of the cornflour slurry).4 tbsp light soy sauce, 2 tbsp hoisin sauce, ¼ tsp white pepper, 2 tsp cornflour
- Turn off the heat and transfer the vegetables to a bowl to cool.
- Start heating the frying oil in a heavy-based pan while you make up the spring rolls.oil for deep frying
- Take a spring roll wrapper and place on the work surface with a corner pointing towards you (cover the rest of the wrappers with a damp clean tea towel to stop them from drying out).10 spring roll pastry wrappers
- Place a heaped tablespoon of the cooled vegetable mix near the bottom corner of the spring roll wrapper, leaving about an inch space from the bottom corner, and shape the filling into a sausage shape (the filling will be horizontal you you).
- Roll up the spring roll, tucking the outer edges in just before you finish rolling – so you have a fat cigar-shaped spring roll. Seal the edges using a bit of water on your fingers.
- Place the filled spring roll on a plate or baking tray, then repeat with the remaining spring rolls.
- When the spring rolls are complete, and your oil is hot, carefully add five spring rolls to the pan, one at a time. You will need to work in two batches to prevent overcrowding the pan.
- Cook the spring rolls for 2-3 minutes, turning often until golden brown, then place on a plate lined with kitchen roll, to soak up excess oil. Then repeat with the remaining spring rolls.
- Serve with sweet chilli sauce for dipping.sweet chilli sauce
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.