As someone who isn’t a vegetarian, and thinks plain cauliflower is a bit ‘meh’, I can confirm these Asian Style Cauliflower Wings are flippin’ delicious! The best way to make cauliflower taste good!! Perfect Vegetarian Chicken Wings!
It’s one of those recipes where Chris and I hover over the dish right after I’ve finished the photos, and noisily demolish them on the spot. Whilst at the same time, being astounded that we’re enjoying a cauliflower-based snack so much.
This recipe first came about when one of our lovely readers asked for a vegetarian version of our Crispy Asian Chicken Wings. At first I looked at the screen, a little bemused, wondering how it could be possible to make anything taste as good as those chicken wings.
Although I do make an effort to make vegetarian recipes, as well as meaty ones, I’m not overly keen on meat substitutes – such as tofu, quorn, veggie bacon etc. When it’s trying to taste like a meat, it usually puts me off.
I much prefer to make the most of natural veggie ingredients. In this case, cauliflower was the perfect answer!
The wings are first coated in a buffalo style coating:
Before being baked in the oven. This gives a nice crispness to the cauliflower.
Then they’re coated in my classic Asian style sauce (the same one I use for the chicken wings)
And finally topped with spring onions and chilli flakes.
Can I make them gluten free?
Yes, you can replace the soy sauce with tamari. Replace the flour with gluten free plain flour blend. Also ensure the sweet chilli sauce you’re using is gluten free.
Can I make them ahead?
I find these wings taste best when eaten right away. However, you can make the cauliflower batter (just stir together the ingredients) and the Asian sauce (just stir together the ingredients, but don’t cook the sauce until the cauliflower wings are in the oven) up to the day before, then cover and refrigerate so it’s quicker to cook the next day.
The Baked Cauliflower Wings – Asian Style Recipe:
As someone who isn't a vegetarian, and thinks plain cauliflower is a bit 'meh', I can confirm these Asian Style Cauliflower Wings are flippin' delicious! The best way to make cauliflower taste good!!
- 120 ml milk
- 120 ml water
- 90 g plain (all purpose) flour (use gluten free plain flour blend if required)
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 head of cauliflower cut into chunky florets
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onions scallions
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F and line a large baking tray with a silicone mat or baking parchment.
- Add the milk, water, flour, garlic salt, celery salt, paprika, chilli flakes salt and pepper to a large bowl. Mix it all together until no lumps remain, then add the cauliflower florets.
- Mix together to completely cover the florets. Use a slotted spoon to lift the florets out of the mixture, allowing the excess batter to drip off. Place the florets on the prepared baking tray, leaving a little room between each.
- Place in the oven and cook for 20 minutes, turning once after 10 minutes.
- Meanwhilse, add all of the sauce ingredients into a saucepan, stir and bring to the boil. Allow to bubble for 5-10 minutes until the sauce reduces and thickens slightly (it will thicken more as it cools). Turn off the heat.
- Place the wings in a large bowl and very carefully pour over the sticky sauce (be careful, it will VERY hot). Toss to combine, then serve topped with chopped spring onions (scallions) and chilli flakes.
Nutritional information is per serving.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.