These Thai Sweet Potato Skins are a healthy vegan sweet potato recipe – packed with Thai flavours, perfect asian inspired alternative to regular potato skins.
A vegan recipe? on Nicky’s blog?
Most of my savoury recipes are usually meat-centred. I am trying to incorporate more vegetarian food into our diet and the blog (check out this yummy garlic bread spaghetti or this nutty noodle salad), but I thought it was impossible to create something we’d all enjoy that didn’t contain lots of cream or cheese. Until I made these!
Extra crunchy sweet potato skins, stuffed with velvety sweet potato and a mixture of crunchy, spicy zingyness.
Serve them with a nice leafy salad for lunch, or if you still need some meat in your life, try them with my satay chicken skewers. The satay sauce contains many of the same ingredients as the filling for these skins, so you can save yourself a little effort.
Have you been enjoying the summer holidays? We’ve done bike rides, play centres, stately homes, parks, mazes and baking in the last week. I’m loving spending lots of time with the little ones before they go up another year at school and get further and further away from being my little babies.
My 8-year-old daughter is already practising being a teenager with wanting to lie in bed all morning, huffing at chores and even testing out the odd eyeball roll. However, it doesn’t take much to encouragement to get her to play princesses and cartwheel around the garden (thank goodness).
My 5-year-old son is still wonderfully cuddly and affectionate. I’m storing up all of those cuddles while I can! His wish to be a kung fu master (usually involving pinning his sister to the floor and flexing his muscles) and his declaration that ‘Peppa Pig is babyish’ forces me into the realization that they’re both growing up so quick.
Which means I’ve got to run now to join them in figuring out an earth-shatteringly important task on the Harry Potter Lego game 🙂
Happy Monday everyone, hope you have a great week! x
The Thai Sweet Potato Skins Recipe:
Thai Sweet Potato Skins
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp. crunchy peanut butter
- Juice of half lime
- 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce check it's vegan and/or gluten free brand if required
- 1 red chilli chopped finely
- 1/4 tin Coconut milk
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 3 Spring onions/scallions finely chopped
- 1 tsp Lemon grass paste
- 4 tbsp unsalted peanuts roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200c/400f. Pierce the potatoes with a fork, then place in the oven for 40-45 minutes until cooked throughout.
- Whilst the potatoes are cooking mix the peanut butter, lime juice, soy sauce, half of the chilli, coconut milk, brown sugar, ground coriander, half the spring onions and lemon grass paste until combined.
- When the potatoes are cooked, take out of the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes (leave the oven on). Cut the potatoes in half lengthways and scoop out all of the potato into a bowl. Place the skins on a baking tray and place back in the oven for 5 minutes to crisp up.
- Combine the peanut butter sauce mix with the sweet potato filling and mix using a fork. Take the potato skins out of the oven, and fill with the peanut/potato mixture. Place back in the oven for 10 minutes to heat through.
- Take out of the oven and place on a plate. Top with the reserved chopped chilli, spring onions and the peanuts,then serve.