Today’s Black Pepper Steak with Chilli Lime Noodles post is sponsored by my friends at LKK. Check out their Summer BBQ competition site for a chance to win flight tickets to Hong Kong amongst lots of other prizes at www.LKKcarnival.com.
Oh my! Crisp fried steak strips with crunchy vegetables in a black pepper and oyster sauce. Serve it with noodles cooked in chilli oil and lime for a meal that will get your taste buds tingling!
Honestly, give me any excuse to cook Chinese food, and I’m in the kitchen with wok in hand before you start your next sentence.
When LKK sent me a box of their delicious sauces to try, I couldn’t wait to do some experimentation. Their oyster sauce is a kitchen staple for me, but I didn’t realise just how many products they have (plus, they’re on discount at the moment in Asda and Tesco!).
Even better, I went with crispy fried steak strips!
Not too crispy mind.
Have you ever been to a restaurant and ordered crispy beef, only for it to come out like beef flavoured strips of nothing-but-crunch? No meaty bit in the middle? Disintegrates in your mouth immediately? How disappointing!!
No, here we’re talking proper strips of good-quality steak. Dark brown and crunchy on the outside, and rich and tender on the inside.The sauce is salty, sweet and a perfectly garlicky. You can add some chilli flakes to it if you wanted, but it really doesn’t need it (plus those chilli noodles are hot!!).
Let’s just go for one more extreme close-up before I leave you alone with the recipe 🙂
The Black Pepper Steak with Chilli Lime Noodles Recipe:
Black Pepper Steak with Chilli Lime Noodles
Black Pepper Steak:
- 450 g (1lb) lean steak, sliced thinly, against the grain (I used sirloin)
- 2 tbsp cornflour cornstarch
- 1.5 tsp crushed black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 medium sized brown onions peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 2 green bell peppers deseeded and chopped into large chunks
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese rice wine or Dry Sherry
- 2 tbsp LKK Premium Oyster Sauce
Chilli Lime Noodles:
- 200 g (7oz) of Vermicelli rice noodles
- 1.5 tbsp LKK chiu chow chilli oil
- 3 spring onions scallions, sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp dark soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 4 Lime wedges
- 1 fresh red chilli sliced finely
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Toss the steak slices with the cornflour, 1 tsp of black pepper and the salt. Heat the 3tbsp vegetable oil and the sesame oil in a wok until hot, then fry the steak until dark and crisp (you may have to do this in two batches). Don’t stir the steak too much, or it won’t crisp up. Spoon out the steak and place on a paper towel to remove any excess fat.
- Cook the vermicelli noodles as per the pack instructions (usually this means placing in just-boiled water for 3 minutes). Drain and rinse in cold water. Put to one side.
- Heat the remaining vegetable oil in the wok and add in the onions and peppers. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes until starting to soften. Add in the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute, then add in the soy sauce, sherry, oyster sauce and remaining black pepper and stir.
- Whilst the oyster sauce and veg are heating through, cook the noodles.
- Heat the chiu chow chilli oil in another large pan or wok. Add the noodles and spring onions and heat through whilst moving the noodles around the pan with a spatula. Mix the soy sauce, lime juice and sugar and pour over the noodles. Allow to heat through, giving the occasional stir to stop the noodles sticking to the pan.
- Add the steak back to the wok with the peppers and onions and heat through.
- Distribute the noodles between four plates, then top with a lime wedge, chopped chillies, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Serve with the steak and vegetables.