I promise you right now, there is no better use for peanut butter than this recipe!
Something magical happens when you mix the peanut butter, lime and chilli to turn this into a lip smackingly great sauce. I love anything Thai, but for once you don’t need all the fish sauce, shrimp paste, tamarind, garlic etc. to get that amazing taste.
This recipe was made as part of our 20 minute Tuesday series on YouTube which includes super tasty recipes like my Pan Fried Salmon with Spaghetti, One of Chis’s favourites Crispy Chilli Chicken, awesome Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps and many more quick and easy meals.
Peanut butter – which is something that I HATE on it’s own bleugh! (sorry peanut butter lovers) is 100% the star of this dish.
Those red chilli add a great hit of heat, but feel free to leave them out if you don’t like it spicy.
It’s all on the table in about 20 minutes, so this is a great mid week meal too.
I’ve been making this for years now, it’s one that my mum passed down to me. I still have the recipe scribbled on a scrap of paper, dotted with oil spots from about 10 years ago! Mum’s version also has beansprouts in, which I include sometimes, along with broccoli or mange tout or whatever bit of veg I have around.
If you’re making this for kids who don’t eat chillies, I’d suggest leaving them out, dishing their portions up, keeping them warm and adding the chopped chillies to the rest of the pan. Then just stir through for a minute or two.
If you’ve tried my peanut butter chicken then please rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing your thoughts and add-ons to my recipes!
You can also follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, and TWITTERto see what I’m up to in the kitchen, what recipes i’m loving, and of course YOUTUBE to see our latest recipe videos!
The Peanut Butter Chicken Recipe:
20 Minute Peanut Butter Chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion peeled and sliced
- 3 chicken breasts chopped into bite sized chunks
- 1 heaped tbsp ground coriander
- 300 ml chicken stock water + 2 stock cubes is fine (use bouillon for gluten free)
- 2 heaped tbsp smooth peanut butter check if you need it to be gluten free, it usually is though
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 red chilli chopped finely (I use fresno chillies)
- 200 g green beans ends chopped off and sliced into short lengths
- If serving with rice, put the rice onto cook first, then you can cook the rest of the meal whilst the rice is boiling.
- Heat the oil in a large pan that has a lid, over a medium-high heat. Add in the chicken and cook, turning regularly, until sealed (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add the onion and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes, then stir through the ground coriander.
- Add in the peanut butter, juice of one of the limes and the stock. Stir, bring to a gentle bubble, then place the lid on and simmer for 7-8 minutes until slightly thickened. Check on it and stir a couple of times to make sure it doesn't catch.
- Add in the green beans, taste and add in the remaining lime juice if needed. Give everything a stir, and leave to cook for another 5 minutes with the lid off. You can add a splash of water if it's starting to look too dry.
- Serve with boiled rice, and sprinkle with chopped chillies (or sweet chilli jam) and coriander (cilantro).
In order to make this Peanut Butter Chicken recipe you will need:
This is a remake of a recipe I first published in May 2014. Do you want to see how bad my photograpy was then? Ok here goes (cringe):
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.