These Chocolate Snickers Cupcakes have a light and fluffy chocolate muffin base, topped with peanut butter frosting and little chunks of Snickers!
They’re rich and totally moreish – which is why I’ve made these in mini cupcake size!
If you’re a peanut-butter lover you’ll LOVE them. If you’re not (like me) I’m willing to bet you’ll love them anyway (like me) ????????????
I’ve been eating a few too many naughty treats like these lately (just wait till you see Monday’s chocolatey post!!!), so I think it’s time to get back on the healthier eating + exercise bandwagon soon.
Any recipe requests or suggestions for tasty, lighter meals?
Chris and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary (14 years together) next month, so I wouldn’t mind getting rid of the muffin top before then.
Ok, enough healthy talk, let’s get back to the chocolate cake ????❤
I use a fairy cake tin to bake the cakes in. Hmmm fairy cake – Is that just a UK term?
Size-wise, the tins (and cake case/liner), are somewhere between a regular muffin tin and a petit-fours tin.
Petit fours are a US thing right? Those truffle-sized foods? Arghhh US friends please help me.
I think I’ve seen the tins listed as shallow muffin tins on Amazon.com – the measurements are 2.5″ diameter at the top, 1.7″ diameter across the bottom and 0.75″ deep. Here’s a link (affiliate link) if that helps:
Worst case scenario, and you can’t get hold of muffin tins in this size, just go for the big ones and cook for 7-8 minutes longer (you’ll get half the amount of muffins, so you’d need to half the amount of frosting).
The frosting for this recipe is based (with a couple of tiny adjustments) on Sally’s version from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
The Chocolate Snickers Cupcakes Recipe:
Chocolate Snickers Cupcakes
- 80 ml vegetable oil
- 200 g golden caster sugar (or use superfine sugar)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp teaspoons vanilla extract
- 120 ml buttermilk
- 42 g cocoa powder
- 95 g plain( all-purpose) flour
- 1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 75 g unsalted butter, softened
- 240 g smooth peanut butter
- 115 g confectioners' sugar
- 90 ml double (heavy) cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 45 mini Snickers pieces sliced in half or you you use 2-3 whole Snickers bars, chopped
- 3 tbsp store-bought salted caramel sauce slightly warmed in a pan or the microwave to loosen.
- 50 g dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat the oven to 175C (350F) and line 2x12-hole shallow muffin tins with cake liners (bake the final 6 as a separate batch unless you have a third muffin tin).
- Whisk the vegetable oil and caster sugar together in a large bowl until creamy (about 2 minutes with an electric whisk). Add the eggs, vanilla extract and buttermilk and stir to combine.
- Sieve in the cocoa powder, flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Fold in using a spatula. The mixture will be runny. Spoon the mixture into the cupcake liners - approx ⅔rds full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 13 minutes, until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tray, then transfer to a baking rack to cool completely.
- Now make the frosting. Place the butter and peanut butter in a bowl and whisk together using an electric hand whisk until creamy.
- Add the confectioners' sugar, cream, vanilla extract and salt and whisk again for 2-3 minutes until thick. If it's too runny, add a little more confectioner's sugar until you get the right consistency for piping.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with a wide round nozzle. Pipe the mixture on the cakes, starting from the outside and working inwards.
- Decorate each cupcake with 3 pieces of Snickers. Drizzle over the salted caramel and melted chocolate (you can drizzle on via a piping bag with a very small round nozzle if you want a neater drizzle).