One Pot Creamy Tomato and Chorizo Rigatoni - a quick and easy mid-week dinner, ready in less than 25 mins!
Gotta love one pan pasta meals, both for the lack of washing up, and the speed that you can throw them together!
Most of my one pot dishes involve adding things in a step at a time. until the dish is complete, but I'm going to fess up here. I cook the chorizo first, take it out of the pan, and add it back in at the end.
So yes, that does mean one extra dirty dish.
There's just no other way to ensure the chorizo is perfectly cooked - you know, a little bit crispy which a tonne of flavour.
In the past, when I've fried the chorizo and added the pasta in with the chorizo to cook, I've found the salty-spicy flavour leaches out into the rest of the sauce, leaving the chorizo a bit flavourless and chewy.
I couldn't do that to you guys. I know you'd prefer perfect chorizo, even if it meant one more dish to wash.
This is the kind of comfort food I'm craving now. I'm full of a cold, waiting for Chris to come back from the pharmacy with lemsips.
Creamy, tomatoey, cheesy (mozzarella AND parmesan), works almost as well as the medication!
I'll sign off now, so I can go and blow my nose again (or 'go amb blow by dose' if I'm saying it out loud).
If you like one pot meals, try these too:
The One Pot Creamy Tomato and Chorizo Rigatoni Recipe:
One Pot Creamy Tomato and Chorizo Rigatoni
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 200 g chorizo - sliced
- 1 small onion - peeled and finely chopped
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 red bell pepper - de-seeded and sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper - de-seeded and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic - peeled and minced
- 250 g dried rigatoni pasta
- 480 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 heaped tbsp tomato puree/paste
- 120 ml double (heavy) cream
- 75 g baby spinach leaves
- 150 g mozzarella, chopped into small chunks (or 1 1/2 packed cups of shredded mozzarella)
- 75 g grated parmesan cheese
- 10 cherry/grape tomatoes - sliced in half. I used a mixture of different colour tomatoes
- pinch of black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan (skillet) on a medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until lightly browned and crisp. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon, place in a bowl and cover.
- Add the chopped onions to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until softened. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, the red and yellow pepper slices and the garlic. Cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add in the rigatoni, then pour in the stock, tinned tomatoes and tomato puree. Stir together, pushing the rigatoni under the liquid. Bring to a gentle simmer, then cover the pan with a lid or foil and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, carefully remove the lid and give everything a stir. Add the cream, spinach, mozzarella and parmesan. Stir together, the arrange the cooked chorizo on top (to heat through) and cover. Simmer for a further 2-3 minutes until the pasta is cooked through, the spinach wilted and the cheese melted.
- Remove the lid and arrange the chopped tomatoes on top, then sprinkle with black pepper, chopped parsley and grated parmesan.
- Serve immediately.