Use up that leftover turkey with this spicy-as-you-like Turkey Tikka Masala!
One for your back pocket, for when the Christmas day madness is over - this Turkey Tikka Masala makes a great Boxing day dinner.
Those shreds of leftover turkey a coated in a thick tikka sauce, then griddled or grilled to give that plain turkey a charred, spicy flavour.
Cooked up in a creamy, spiced masala sauce, it's an indulgent dinner. Great for curling up on the sofa with, to watch those boxing day movies.
I'm going to make this post ultra quick today guys as I know it's a busy day.
We've still got loads of tidying and wrapping to do. Plus the kids are decorating the Christmas cake later (I'll try to instagram story it).
So I'll leave you with the recipe, plus a link to 11 other recipes you can make with turkey leftovers.
Happy Christmas everyone, I hope you and your family have a truly wonderful, peaceful and joyful holiday xxx
Leftover Turkey Tikka Masala
- leftover turkey - as much as you have! - but ideally enough for 4 people, sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 120 ml (½ cup + 1 tsp) Greek yogurt - or thick natural yogurt (full-fat)
- 2 cloves garlic - peeled and minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp mild chilli powder - this is more for flavour and doesn't add any heat. Add in hot chilli powder and/or more chilli powder if you like it hotter
- pinch of cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - peeled and minced
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp tomato puree - paste
- 1 red bell pepper - de-seeded and sliced
- 400 g (14 oz) tin chopped tomatoes
- 120 ml (½ cup) water
- 180 ml (¾ cup) double/heavy cream
- 3 tbsp ground almonds
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- small bunch fresh coriander/cilantro - roughly chopped
- boiled rice
- First, make the turkey tikka. Mix together all the tikka ingredients, except for the turkey and the oil, until combined. Add in the turkey, and gently stir to coat. Put to one side.120 ml (½ cup + 1 tsp) Greek yogurt, 2 cloves garlic, 1 tsp minced ginger, juice of half a lemon, 1 tsp ground coriander, ½ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp cumin, 1 tsp paprika, ½ tsp mild chilli powder, pinch of cinnamon, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp black pepper, leftover turkey
- Now make the sauce. Add the oil and butter to a large frying pan (skillet) and heat on a medium-high heat until the butter has melted. Add the onion, and cook for 4-5 minutes until softened.1 tbsp vegetable oil, 1 tbsp unsalted butter, 1 onion
- Add the garlic, ginger, garam masala, ground coriander, paprika, cumin, cinnamon and tomato puree. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes to allow the spices to release their fragrance.3 cloves garlic, 2 tsp minced ginger, 1 tsp garam masala, 2 tsp ground coriander, 2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp cumin, ½ tsp cinnamon, 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Add in the chopped red bell pepper, tinned tomatoes, and water. Stir and bring to the boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes until thickened.1 red bell pepper, 400 g (14 oz) tin chopped tomatoes, 120 ml (½ cup) water
- Meanwhile, preheat a griddle plate (or the grill/broiler) until hot. Brush the griddle with a little of the oil, then place the turkey pieces on the griddle. Brush with the turkey with the remaining oil. Cook on the griddle (or under the grill), turning once until browned and lightly charred. Turn off the heat and place the turkey in a bowl.2 tbsp vegetable oil
- When the sauce is nearly ready, stir in the cream, ground almonds, and sugar, followed by the charred turkey. Cook for a further 5 minutes to heat through.180 ml (¾ cup) double/heavy cream, 3 tbsp ground almonds, 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Sprinkle the turkey tikka masala with chopped coriander and serve with boiled rice.small bunch fresh coriander/cilantro, boiled rice