Creamy Pesto Chicken with Roast Tomatoes and Croutons. Juicy chicken breast with a crisp & salty skin, soft tangy roasted tomatoes, creamy, garlicky pesto sauce and crunchy croutons. Plus it's so pretty, you can serve it straight from the pan.
One-pot cooking doesn't have to be all about same-coloured food that spends all day in the slow cooker. Whilst I am a huge fan of coming home to a meltingly tender ragu or spicy brisket, sometimes we're out too early to start something cooking, and home too late to be bothered with anything more than beans on toast.
It's those days when you need a meal like this. All cooked in one pan, you can have a beautiful meal on the table in half an hour - and two thirds of that time can be spent sat on the sofa enjoying a cup of tea. The textures and flavours will make you so happy you skipped the tin of beans.
I also like to serve this with some baked baby potatoes, which you could cook separately in the oven, or just add to the chicken pan too. It's a really versatile meal. You could add in broccoli or asparagus in the last 10 minutes of cooking, or pile on some spinach at the end. It also tastes amazing served on top of a pile of homemade fresh pasta.
The kids are off school for half term this week, so I'm sure I'll be serving this up following a blustery afternoon at the park. Or more likely after we've become so engrossed in the Lego Harry Potter game that I've realised it's tea time and I've not even started cooking. I'm not normally one for computer games, but I can't resist a bit of Harry Potter 🙂
I'm really looking forward to this week off with the kids. Lot's of things planned - visit to a stately home, swimming, a couple of play dates, a trip to some gardens (not forgetting the compulsory tea-shop stop), we've also got friends coming round for hot dogs before you go to see the firework display at the local park. I'm thinking about having an apple dippers for the kids too. I spotted it on pinterest. Don't they look gorgeous? got to try it!
It'll be interesting trying to fit in recipe creation, cooking and photography this week. So expect a few more quick and easy chicken dishes......
Creamy Pesto Chicken with Roast Tomatoes and Croutons Recipe:
Creamy Pesto Chicken with Roast Tomatoes and Croutons
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 chicken breasts - skin on
- 50 (1.75oz) pesto
- 60 g (2.1oz) mascarpone - full fat
- 1/2 a large bread roll - cut into cubes (weighing about 40g/1.4oz)
- 10 sprays frylight or other cooking spray
- 10-12 tomatoes - on the vine
- 1 tsp pine nuts
- 1 tbsp parmesan - grated
- 6 basil leaves
- Buttered baby baked potatoes
- Preheat the oven 190c/375f
- Add the olive oil to a medium sized, oven-safe frying pan and heat. Sprinkle the skin of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then place the chicken breasts into the hot frying pan, skin side down. Cook on high for 3 minutes until the skin turns golden, then turn over and cook for 2 minutes on the other side.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, mix the pesto and mascarpone together in a small bowl. Place the chopped up bread on a plate and spray all over with the frylight/cooking oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat off the chicken and turn the breasts over again so they're skin side up. Dot the pesto mix all around the chicken. Nestle the bread cubes and vine tomatoes around the chicken, on top of the pesto. Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Open the oven and carefully sprinkle the pinenuts on top, then cook for a further 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the croutons are golden. You can check the chicken by inserting a knife into the thickest part of the chicken and ensuring it's not pink in the middle.
- Take out of the oven, sprinkle with parmesan and basil leaves and serve with some buttered, baby baked potatoes.
Or skip the microwave stage and oven cook them for 30 mins. . Nutritional Information is per serving.