This creamy mushroom sauce is rich, velvety and utterly delicious.
You can serve it with anything - chicken, pasta, on burgers or poured over chips, but my absolute favourite is to serve with steak, using those pan juices for ultimate flavour.
Go heavy on the mushrooms and use your favourite variety.
I'm the only one in my family who likes mushrooms, but that doesn't stop me making this creamy mushroom sauce when I cook steak at home.
Chris lets me have his mushrooms and just has extra creamy sauce, so it's win-win if you ask me.
The sauce is creamy, velvety and so delicious, I love to use Chestnut Mushrooms, but you can use any of your favourite mushrooms.
📋 What do we need?
- Mushrooms We used Chestnut mushrooms, but you can use your favourite mushroom variety.
- Cream Always use double cream (heavy cream) instead if single or light cream, as this will ensure a luscious sauce that won't split.
- Stock We used chicken stock but beef, vegetable or any good stock will work too.
- Wine If you don't use or have wine, you can skip it and add more stock
📺 Watch how to make it
Full recipe with detailed steps in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Sauté the shallots in the butter and oil for a few minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, salt, pepper and thyme and cook for three minutes.
- Add the wine and turn up the heat until reduced, stir in the stock and cream and any pan juices, simmer through for two to three minutes until piping hot.
👩🍳PRO TIP If you want the sauce to be a little thicker, stir in a corn starch slurry (1tbsp cornflour mixed with three tbsp of cold water) Pour into the bubbling sauce, slowly, whilst stirring, until thickened to your liking.
This creamy mushroom sauce is so good over steak, but it goes just as well over pasta with a little parmesan cheese.
And this sauce over a baked potato is out of this world, especially if like me, you love mushrooms.
What would you serve with yours?
🍲 What to serve it with
Stay updated with new recipes!
Subscribe to the newsletter to hear when I post a new recipe. I’m also on YouTube (new videos every week) and Instagram (behind-the-scenes stories & beautiful food photos).
Creamy Mushroom Sauce Recipe
- 1 tbsp (15g) unsalted butter
- ½ tbsp sunflower oil - if you’ve just cooked steak to go with this sauce, use the oils/meat-drippings that are left in the pan, instead of the sunflower oil and butter.
- 2 shallots - peeled and chopped finely
- 8 chestnut mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp dried thyme or 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 120 ml (½ cup) white wine
- 120 ml (½ cup) chicken stock
- 180 ml (¾ cup) double (heavy) cream
- Add the butter and oil to a frying pan and heat over a medium heat.
- When the butter has melted, add the shallot. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the shallots are just starting to soften.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, salt, pepper and thyme to the pan and cook for 3 minutes, until lightly softened.
- Add the wine and turn up the heat to high. Bring to the boil, then simmer until almost all of the liquid has evaporated (this will take about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the stock and cream and heat through for 2-3 minutes (if you have any juices from resting your steak, add them to the pan now too). Bring back to a simmer, then turn off the heat.
- Serve over steak.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.