Chimichurri sauce is a fresh, zingy and vibrant condiment made with parsley, lemon, oil and garlic, that works perfectly with meat and fish. I particularly love it with a juicy steak.
Spice it up with the addition of a little chilli and serve it at your next BBQ.
Chimichurri is a fresh sauce that doesn't require any cooking, it's easy to pull together fast whilst you're resting your steak.
It originates from Argentina and is often served alongside grilled or bbq meats, particularly steak.
📋 What do we need?
The ingredients for chimichurri are simple, You need some fresh parsley, chilli, lemon and garlic, along with some good quality olive oil, dried oregano, red wine vinegar and some salt and pepper.
Make sure to use the freshest ingredients for the best flavour.
🔪 How to make Chimichurri Sauce
Full recipe with detailed steps in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Finely chop the parsley and chilli and place in a small mixing bowl
- add the remaming ingredients and give it a good mix
- Leave to rest for a couple of minutes befor serving
👩🍳PRO TIP Use a sharp knife to finely chop the parsley. If you use a blunt knife you are going to bruise the parsley.
This sauce can be made up in under 10 minutes and is best served fresh. You can make up your batch whilst your steak is resting.
🍲 More fantastic sauce recipes
Stay updated with new recipes!
Subscribe to the newsletter to hear when I post a new recipe. I’m also on YouTube (new videos every week) and Instagram (behind-the-scenes stories & beautiful food photos).
Chimichurri Sauce Recipe
Ingredients for chimichurri
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic - peeled and minced
- 1 large bunch of flat leaf-parsley - chopped very finely
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 red chilli - finely chopped (I use fresno chillies for medium heat) - discard the seeds for less heat
- Finely chop the fresh parsley and the red chilli and place in a small mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl.
- Stir together until the ingredients are fully combined.
- Allow to sit for a few minutes befor serving.
Is Chimichurri Served Hot or Cold?Chimichurri tastes best at room temperature. So if you refrigerate it, bring it out of the refrigerator an hour before serving to let it come to room temperature.
Can I Make Chimichurri Sauce Ahead?Yes, you can make it up to a day ahead. Cover and store in the refrigerator. Take it out of the refrigerator an hour before serving to let it come to room temperature.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.