This blue cheese sauce is a bold, creamy, tangy sauce with a hint of garlic that's easy to whip up while your steak is resting.
You can of course use it for chicken, pork, or even pasta too.
Simple ingredients that come together for a rich, luscious sauce
Steak without sauce? not in our house...
I'm not the biggest fan of blue cheese usually, but made into a sauce for steak? That's a whole other story.
It's a strong, tangy cheese with a distinct punchy flavour, that when melted into the cream, makes this sauce so luscious and creamy. Even the kids love it.
Made in less than ten minutes, you can also have this as a dip with potato wedges or over pasta, it's so versatile and delicious.
📋 What do we need?
- Blue Cheese - I used Stilton in our sauce but any blue cheese will work, Roquefort would work well, or you could use gorgonzola for a milder flavour.
- Cream - Always use double cream (heavy cream) instead of single or light cream as this will ensure a luscious sauce that won't split.
- Banana Shallots. - One banana shallot or use two regular small shallots. If you haven't got shallots then half of a small onion, very finely chopped will work too.
📺 Watch how to make it
Full recipe with detailed steps in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Melt the butter and gently fry the finely sliced shallots for 3-4 minutes, then add the garlic for a further one minute.
- Add the cream and Stilton and stir over a low heat until the cheese has melted (about five minutes).
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and pepper, then serve.
👩🍳PRO TIP For a slightly thicker sauce just simmer on a low heat, stirring often, for a few more minutes. If the sauce is too thick, add a slash of milk. You can also add a squeeze of lemon juice to cut through the richness of the sauce and make it lighter if you like.
This is a rich indulgent sauce that feels like a treat - without going to a restaurant.
What do you serve yours with?
🍲 What to serve it with
Stay updated with new recipes!
Subscribe to the newsletter to hear when I post a new recipe. I’m also on YouTube (new videos every week) and Instagram (behind-the-scenes stories & beautiful food photos).
Blue Cheese Sauce Recipe
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 banana shallot - peeled and finely chopped, or use ½ small onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 150 ml (½ cup + 2tbsp) double (heavy) cream
- 125 g (4 ½ oz) Stilton - crumbled or roughly chopped , (use Gorgonzola for a milder cheese)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat.2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Add the chopped shallot and fry for 3-4 minutes, until softened.1 banana shallot
- Add the minced garlic and cook for a further 1 minute.1 clove minced garlic
- Add cream and Stilton, and heat over a low heat, stirring often until the Stilton melts and the sauce thickens slightly. This should take about 5 minutes. You can help the Stilton to melt down easier by crushing it with the back of your spoon when stirring.150 ml (½ cup + 2tbsp) double (heavy) cream, 125 g (4 ½ oz) Stilton
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and pepper.1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, ¼ tsp black pepper
- You can serve right away, it let it continue to cook over a low heat (stirring often) for a few more minutes if you would like the sauce to thicken up further.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.