I love these easy peanut butter ramen noodles for a 5 minute dinner! Take that packet of instant noodles, throw away the flavour sachet and make your own lipsmackingly delicious broth.
Only a couple of minutes prep, then 3 minutes to cook!
Instant ramen noodles are a great staple to have in the cupboard. They're one of my go-to comfort food lunches when I want something quick and hot.
One of the things I love is that they're so versatile, and for this recipe I'm giving regular chicken instant noodles a makeover with the addition of sesame, garlic, chilli and peanut butter.
Yep, peanut butter! It makes a brilliant addition to the noodle broth, making it silky and creamy. You only need a tablespoon to get a fantastic taste and creaminess, without overpowering the rest of the flavours.
📺 Watch how to make it
Full recipe with detailed steps in the recipe card at the end of this post.
👩🍳PRO TIP If you don't want to use a microwave, this recipe can also be made in a saucepan. Check out the notes section of the recipe card for instructions on how to do this.
🍽️ Ramen noodle additions
Want to make these spicy peanut butter noodles a substantial meal? Try adding one or more of the following (note: you may need to add an extra minute or so to the cooking time to make sure everything is piping hot).
- Leftover shredded cooked chicken, beef or pork
- Chopped quick-cook veggies, such as mushrooms, mange tout, babycorn or bell peppers
- Frozen vegetables (mixed veg or frozen peas and/or sweetcorn) or tinned sweetcorn
So slurpilly delicious! I like mine extra hot with lots of chilli flakes or even a splash of hot pepper sauce 🌶
Stay updated with new recipes!
Subscribe to the newsletter to hear when I post a new recipe. I’m also on YouTube (new videos every week) and Instagram (behind-the-scenes stories & beautiful food photos).
Peanut Butter Noodles with Garlic and Chilli
- 85 g (3 oz) pack instant ramen noodles - flavour sachet discarded
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 pinch white pepper
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes (red pepper flakes)
- 1 clove garlic - peeled and minced
- 1 chicken or vegetable stock cube - crumbled
- 1 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 240 ml (1 cup) hot water - from a just-boiled kettle
- 3 spring onions (scallions) - finely sliced
- spring onions (scallions) - finely sliced
- chilli flakes
- mixed black and white sesame seeds
- Place the noodles in a microwavable bowl.85 g (3 oz) pack instant ramen noodles
- Add the sesame oil, white pepper, chilli flakes, garlic, crumbled stock cube, and peanut butter on top.1 tsp sesame oil, 1 pinch white pepper, ¼ tsp chilli flakes (red pepper flakes), 1 clove garlic, 1 chicken or vegetable stock cube, 1 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- Pour the boiling water over the noodles and flavourings.240 ml (1 cup) hot water
- Turn the noodle cake over 3 times, to wet the noodles fully and mix into the flavours.
- Place in the microwave and microwave on high for 1 minute 30 seconds.
- Carefully remove from the microwave. Sprinkle over the sliced spring onions and stir or toss the noodles.3 spring onions (scallions)
- Microwave on high for a further 1 minute 30 seconds - 2 minutes, until the noodles are tender.
- Carefully remove it from the microwave. Stir and sprinkle with spring onions, chilli flakes, and sesame seeds.spring onions (scallions), chilli flakes, mixed black and white sesame seeds
- Place the noodles in a small saucepan.
- Add the sesame oil, white pepper, chilli flakes, garlic, crumbled stock cube and peanut butter on top.
- Pour the boiling water over the noodles and flavourings.
Turn the noodle cake over 3 times, to wet the noodles fully and mix into the flavours.
- Heat over a medium-high heat, until the liquid starts to boil, then turn down to a simmer. Simmer for 1 minute 30 seconds.
- Stir the noodles, then sprinkle over the sliced spring onions and stir again.
- Simmer for a further 1 minute 30 seconds - 2 minutes, until the noodles are tender. You can add an extra splash of water if the noodles start to look too dry.
- Stir together then transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with spring onions, chilli flakes and sesame seeds before serving.
- Swap the peanut butter for almond butter
- Swap the spring onions (scallions) for fresh coriander / cilantro
- Swap the ramen noodles for fine egg noodles, rice noodles or soba noodles (add an extra 60ml (¼ cup) water and cook for an extra 1-2 minutes for soba noodles
- Finish with a splash of hot sauce or soy sauce
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.