This is my homemade chicken and vegetable pot noodle (instant noodles). This homemade pot noodle is really tasty and ready in less than 10 mins!
Have you ever tried a Pot Noodle? They're something of a student food icon in the UK. Pour some boiling water on, straight from the kettle, leave to stand for a few minutes and hey presto! Dried noodles and other...erm...things... suddenly transform into a meal for one.
To be honest I was never that keen. I could manage the beef & tomato variety (with a large extra squirt of ketchup) when I was a starving student, but I tended to stick to a diet of toast, beer and chocolate - supplemented by the 3-times-weekly free burger meal from my part time job at a fast food restaurant.
13 years later and I think my liver has just about recovered.
This homemade pot noodle however, is different. Fresh ingredients, lots of taste, and a shelf life that wouldn't take us to the next millennium.
This Homemade Chicken and Vegetable Pot Noodle (Instant Noodles) makes a great office lunch - even if you don't have a kitchen. Bring it into the office, store it in the fridge or a cool bag, then come lunchtime, pour on the homemade flavour paste and some boiling water from the kettle. Leave it to sit for a few minutes, then give it a stir and eat. The simplest soup you've ever made!
The preparation at home is pretty simple too. Make a flavour paste using some simple ingredients that you probably already have in the cupboard. Store it in a little tub. Then place your dried noodles, veg and finely chopped cooked chicken in a large mug, along with ½ a tsp of cornflour (this will help to slightly thicken the soup). Cover it and refrigerate (or store in a cool bag) until lunchtime.
I'd recommend using dried rice noodles for this dish. The ready-cooked rice noodles are ok, but they don't absorb the flavour quite as well. Also, vermicelli noodles are better than the flat rice noodles - because they take less time to soften in the boiled water (meaning your soup will be hotter by the time you come to eat it). Flat noodles - as you can see from my picture here - still work well though.
The Homemade Chicken and Vegetable Pot Noodle (Instant Noodles) Recipe:
Homemade Chicken and Vegetable Pot Noodle (Instant Noodles)
- 50 g (¾ cups) dried rice noodles - ideally vermicelli, but flat noodles are ok. They take a little longer to soak, so the soup won't be quite as hot
- 1 spring onion/scallion - sliced
- 4 sugarsnaps/snowpeas - chopped in half
- ¼ of a red pepper - chopped into small chunks
- small handful of kale
- 2 tbsp cooked chicken - finely shredded
- ½ tsp cornflour
You will also need:
- 300 ml (1 ¼ cups) boiling water from the kettle
- Mix all the ingredients for your flavour paste, and put into a little sealed tub or jar until you're ready to use it.½ tsp sesame oil, 1 tbsp dark soy sauce, pinch of ground ginger, ½ clove garlic, ½ tsp sugar, juice from small wedge of lime, 1 tsp sweet chilli sauce
- Put all of the noodle ingredients into a large mug. Cover and refrigerate until you're ready to eat.50 g (¾ cups) dried rice noodles, 1 spring onion/scallion, 4 sugarsnaps/snowpeas, ¼ of a red pepper, small handful of kale, 2 tbsp cooked chicken, ½ tsp cornflour
- When you're ready too eat, pour the flavour paste into the noodle cup. Pour on boiling water, stir and cover. Leave for 3 minutes (or longer if the noodle instructions suggest so) and then stir again before serving.300 ml (1 ¼ cups) boiling water from the kettle
If you love noodle dishes why not try my amazing Ramen Noodle Soup.