A throw-it-all-in-the-pan weeknight meal, this One Pot Chicken and Broccoli Pasta is quick and tasty!
I’m starting to struggle without my full kitchen!
The back wall of the house came down this week, opening up the kitchen into the new extension. The space looks great, but dust is everywhere. I have to wash everything before I use it – even the stacked up plates in the cupboards.
So I’ve moved most of my cooking and photographing to the living room. A little table in the middle of the living room floor with my portable induction hob – it almost feels like camping.
So one-pot meals like this are perfect right now!!
I’m anticipating another week or so before they rip out my kitchen entirely, and at that point I might have to go and borrow a kitchen for a month or two, but for now we’re just about managing.
The lighting in the living room is totally different, and there’s nowhere else in the house with the room to photograph, so I’m not 100% happy with my pictures right now (come to think of it, I can ALWAYS pick holes in my pictures!), but I’m hoping you get the idea on the look of this simple little dish.
About 25-30 minutes from start to finish and you’ve got a tasty dinner with a few veggies in there too for good measure. I use broccoli, kale and mushrooms, but really you can throw in whatever you have at hand – peas, asparagus, mangetout – anything like that will work great.
A good sprinkling of parmesan to finish and you’re done.
If only my kitchen was done too! I’ll post some photos of the mess next week 🙂
The One Pot Chicken and Broccoli Pasta Recipe:
One Pot Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic peeled and crushed
- 3 chicken breasts chopped into bite-size chunks
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 16 baby chestnut mushrooms chopped in half
- 60 ml white wine (optional – you can replace with water or stock)
- 600 ml homemade or good quality chicken stock
- 105 ml whole milk
- 200 g dried pasta shapes
- Small head of broccoli stalk removed, chopped into small florets
- 70 g kale roughly chopped
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 50 g parmesan, grated
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan (skillet) on a medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and fry gently for a couple of minutes until the onions start to go translucent. Add in the garlic, stir and cook for 30 seconds. Then add in the chicken, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, moving around the pan a couple of times until sealed. Add the mushrooms and cook for two more minutes. Add the wine and bring to the boil. Smmer for two minutes, then add the stock and milk. Bring to the boil, then stir in the pasta. Bring back to a gentle bubble and place a lid on the pan. Turn down the heat and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add in broccoli and kale, stir, place the lid back on and cook for another 5 minutes, until the broccoli is tender and the pasta is cooked.
- Remove the list, stir in the lemon juice andsprinkle with the parmesan and a little salt and pepper, then serve.