A throw-it-all-in-the pan weeknight meal that ticks the meat/carb/vegetable boxes with minimal effort. It’s a nice light dinner, which gives this meal a bit of a Summery vibe ☀️☀️ Ready in 30 minutes!
Easy one-pot pasta dinners are my favourite on busy weeknights.
I'm a bit of a creamy-cheesy sauce addict when it comes to sauces, but this is a lighter version that uses just a little Parmesan and some milk, rather than lots of heavy cream.
It means this dish feels nice and light, but still with plenty of flavour.
📋 What do we need?
📺 Watch how to make it
Full recipe with detailed steps in the recipe card at the end of this post.
👩🍳PRO TIP Be sure to simmer this on low to prevent the milk from splitting. If it does split DON'T WORRY! Add in an extra big splash of cold milk, stir together throughly and cook on very low for another minute or two and the sauce will come back together.
Lovely lightly creamy tender pasta with juicy chicken and plenty of slightly-al dente broccoli (add the broccoli a few minutes earlier if you like it softer, but I like mine with a little bit of bite to it).
🍲 More fantastic Pasta recipes
- Spaghetti aglio e olio
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta
- Creamy Sausage Pasta with Bacon
- Easy Pasta Salad With The Best Italian Dressing
- Creamy Tuna Pasta Bake
- Chicken and Bacon Mac and Cheese
Stay updated with new recipes!
Subscribe to the newsletter to hear when I post a new recipe. I’m also on YouTube (new videos every week) and Instagram (behind-the-scenes stories & beautiful food photos).
One Pot Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion - peeled and chopped
- 3 chicken breasts - (this is about 525g/18.5oz), chopped into bite-size chunks
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic - peeled and crushed
- 60 ml (¼ cup) white wine - (optional – you can replace with water or stock)
- 600 ml (2 ½ cups) good quality chicken stock
- 180 ml (¾ cup) whole (full-fat) milk
- 300 g (10.5oz) dried pasta shapes
- 300 g 10.5oz) broccoli - stalk removed, chopped into small florets
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 50 g (½ packed cup) grated parmesan
- Freshly chopped parsley
- black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan (skillet) on a medium-high heat.2 tbsp olive oil
- Add the chopped onion, chicken, salt and pepper and fry for 5-6 minutes, until the onions start to go translucent.1 small onion, 3 chicken breasts, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp black pepper
- Add in the garlic, stir and cook for 30 seconds.3 cloves of garlic
- Add the wine and bring to the boil. Simmer for 1-2 minutes, then add the stock and milk.60 ml (¼ cup) white wine, 600 ml (2 ½ cups) good quality chicken stock, 180 ml (¾ cup) whole (full-fat) milk
- Bring to the boil, then stir in the pasta. Bring back to a gentle bubble and place a lid on the pan. Turn down the heat and cook for 10 minutes.300 g (10.5oz) dried pasta shapes
- Add in broccoli, stir, place the lid back on and cook for another 5 minutes, until the broccoli is tender, and the pasta is cooked.300 g 10.5oz) broccoli
- Remove the lid, stir in the lemon juice and parmesan.1 tsp lemon juice, 50 g (½ packed cup) grated parmesan
- Serve, topped with a sprinkling of freshly chopped parsley and black pepper.Freshly chopped parsley, black pepper
This post was first published October 2016. Updated June 2023 with new photos, video, housekeeping and a couple of recipe tweaks.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.