Rum and Peach Cocktail with Chilli Syrup – a spicy, refreshing drink for a warm Summer’s evening!
I’ve moaned before about having to make simple syrup for cocktails (like this gin-basil smash). It’s not exactly a long or complicated process – but I usually prefer cocktails you can throw together in 30 seconds.
Since I had decided to make some simple syrup anyway, I thought it might be fun to add a couple of other ingredients in there. So in went a lovely, ripe, diced peach and half a jalapeno.
All bubbled together for 5 minutes, then mushed and sieved. And OMG!
I could have just drunk that stuff on it’s own. Or maybe poured over ice cream!!
However, I didn’t think peach-jalapeno-sugar-water sounded like a very enticing cocktail, so I went in with the rum and ginger beer.
It’s a winner guys!!
Perfect for barbecue evenings in the garden!
And if you’ve got the barbecue going anyway (maybe cooking some ribs?), why not sprinkle brown sugar on peach slices and grill them for a cocktail topping! Drink and dessert in the same glass 🙂
By this point I’d started getting rather carried away, so I also rubbed the rim of the glasses with a piece of freshly cut ginger and then dipped it in sugar – just to add to that fiery chilli and ginger beer flavour.
Pick and choose what you like, but it’s the peach-jalapeno simple syrup that really makes this cocktail!!
The Rum and Peach Cocktail Recipe:
Rum and Peach Cocktail with Chilli Syrup
- 2 peaches one chopped into small chunks, the other sliced into 6-8 wedges
- ¼ cup caster or superfine sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1/2 jalapeno chilli
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 60 ml 1/4 cup good quality rum - I used Zacapa rum
- Fiery ginger beer I used Old Jamaica - approx 250ml (1 cup)
- To Serve:
- Small piece of fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp caster or superfine sugar
- crushed ice
- 1/2 red chilli or jalapeno cut into small slices
- Place the small chunks of chopped peach into a saucepan along with the sugar, water and jalapeno. Bring to the boil, stir and simmer for 10 minutes, mushing the mixture with a fork every couple of minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, dust the peach wedges in the brown sugar and grill/bbq or griddle each side on a high heat for 1-2 minutes until the sugar caramelises. Remove from the heat and put to one side.
- Take your two glasses and rub the rims of the glasses with a small slice of fresh ginger. spread the one tbsp of caster sugar on a plate and dip the rims of the glasses in the sugar to coat.
- Fill each glass with crushed ice and pour 30ml (2 tbsp) of rum into each glass.
- Sieve the peach-jalapeno mixture, squashing it down to get all the of the liquid out. Divide the liquid between the two glasses. Top with ginger beer and decorate the glasses with the caramelised peaches and chilli slices before serving.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.