Judging by the fishbowl-sized gin and tonic I was cradling at the weekend, I think it’s fair to say I’m not.
I’m not much of a drinker generally – one or two at the weekend (unless it’s girl’s night, then it’s a different story) is enough for me. Chocolate is my biggest vice.
Maybe I should have given that up for January (yeah right!).
I do know what it’s like when everyone else is drinking and you’re not though. It’s water, or maybe a mixer by itself.
If I’m going to watch everyone else drink wine or tropical cocktails, I want something that’s going to tickle my tastebuds. Something sweet, with a bit of a kick that makes you look forward to the next mouthful.
An interesting mocktail!!
That’s what I had in mind when I came up with this one.
Sweet, spicy, a touch of sour and a whole load of tasty!
Charred Grapefruit and Ginger Fizz with Chilli Syrup Mocktail
- 250 ml (1 cup + 2 tsp) ruby grapefruit juice - you can juice approx 1 ½ ruby grapefruits to get the same amount of juice
- 50 g (¼ cup) caster or superfine sugar
- 120 ml (½ cup) water
- 1 red chilli - sliced in half (use a chilli with a bit of heat!)
- juice of one lime
- 1 slice ruby grapefruit - cut into quarters
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 250 ml (1 cup + 2 tsp) fiery ginger beer - I used Old Jamaica
- 9 slices lime
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 3 Thai chillies for decoration
- Add the grapefruit juice, sugar, water, and sliced chilli to a small saucepan. Place on a high heat, bring to the boil, stir and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave to cool before removing and discarding the chilli.250 ml (1 cup + 2 tsp) ruby grapefruit juice, 50 g (¼ cup) caster or superfine sugar, 120 ml (½ cup) water, 1 red chilli
- Add the lime juice to the chilli-grapefruit mixture.juice of one lime
- Take the grapefruit slices and dust with the brown sugar. Use a cooks blowtorch to carefully caramelize and slightly char the sugar and grapefruit on both sides (or you could place under a very hot grill or place on a griddle to caramelize).1 slice ruby grapefruit, 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- Fill three glasses with the crushed ice. Add 3 slices of lime to each glass. Divide the chilli-grapefruit liquid between the three glasses and top with ginger beer.9 slices lime, 1 cup crushed ice, 250 ml (1 cup + 2 tsp) fiery ginger beer
- Make a small slit in the grapefruit wedges and place on the side of the glasses for decoration. Top each glass with a Thai chilli and serve.3 Thai chillies for decoration
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.