Yes I used cream, yes I used cheese. So I'm not trying to make a diet soup that 'tastes creamy but with no cream' or 'fills you up with no fat'. This is just a great tasting, hearty soup that will leave you sighing with happiness whilst you eat. And actually I think 220 calories isn't too bad for that.
Back in my youth, I used to work at a fried chicken shop where we'd get a free meal during each shift. There was (and still is) a sandwich shop across the road that did the best cauliflower soup ever. If that soup was on special, I was straight over there. Yes, a 17-year-old who preferred cauliflower soup to fried chicken and chips. It really was that good.
It was that soup I had in mind when I made this recipe.
I told Chris I was making cauliflower soup for lunch, and received a look of dismay and an unintelligible, displeased grunt. I could see his brain figuring out what he could have for his real lunch later.
So I made it.
...and he finished every last drop.
I tried to get a compliment out of it - with guarded results. Not that I would have said 'I told you so' or anything 🙂
It tasted just like the soup from the sandwich shop. I can't believe I've been thinking about it for 18 years and I never made it!
It's now on my go-to list of soups and will be making a regular lunchtime appearance.
25 minutes to lunchtime happiness.......
Can I make it gluten free?
Yes - this soup is already gluten free - presuming you use gluten free stock.
Can I make it ahead?
Yes, you can make ahead, cool quickly, cover and refrigerate for 2-3 days. Reheat in a pan, stirring regularly, until piping hot
Can I freeze this cauliflower soup?
Yes. Cool quickly, cover and freeze. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then reheat in a pan, stirring regularly, until piping hot
I don't like cauliflower, what can I use instead?
You can replace the cauliflower with brocolli for an easy swap and make Cream of Broccoli Soup.
If you're looking to use up multiple vegetables, you could also pile in a selection of veggies such as carrot, leek, sweet potato and onion (it's best not to mix green veg with red or orange veg, as you'll get murky looking brown soup). Simmer for 5 minutes longer if using carrot, as it takes a little longer to soften. Then blend, as with the cauliflower soup and add in the cream and cheese.
Creamy Cauliflower Soup Recipe:
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions - peeled and chopped
- 3 regular heads of cauliflower - outer leaves discard, chopped into small florets
- 5 cups (1200ml) hot vegetable or chicken stock - - either homemade or use 3-4 stock cubes with water. Use bouillon for gluten free
- 3/4 tsp garlic salt
- 250 g mature/strong cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup (180ml) double/heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan, and fry the onion gently for 4-5 minutes until it starts to go translucent. Add in the cauliflower, stock and garlic salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, take off the heat and whizz using a hand blender. Put back on the heat, add in the cheese and cream and stir until he cheese has melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a sprinkling of cheese and black pepper and a few chives if you wish.
This post was first published in September 2014. Updated in August 2018 with new photos and additional tips.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.