Oven cooking the veg until slightly charred adds lots of extra flavour to this comforting Cheesy Roasted Vegetable Soup. Throw in some parmesan for a creamy finish.
A rainbow of vegetables, roasted until sweet, tender and just a little bit charred. Blended together with some stock and creamy-yet-sharp parmesan and you’ve got the perfect lunch to warm you up from the inside.
I love making easy meals like this in winter. There’s something about dishing up ladles of steaming hot soup into waiting bowls. Dunking a nice wedge of bread in there, knowing you’re eating something nutritious, homemade and absolutely delicious.
I made this soup first for DIYs.com – which is a site I’ve recently started collaborating with. Full of fab craft, fashion and recipe ideas, I’m already trying to persuade my daughter NOT to go for the unicorn hairstyle on wacky hair day at school!
Anyway, now I get to share my recipe with you guys too!
You can, of course, make this soup without roasting the vegetables – just boiling them up with the spices in the stock for 20 minutes will give you a lovely soup. But roasting them? It just adds a wonderful sweet and slightly smoky flavour. You can even enhance that smoky flavour by using smoked paprika.
Make a large batch of this to last for the week. Simply cool, cover and refrigerate. You could also split into separate portions and freeze in a sealed container. Just defrost and thoroughly reheat for a super quick lunch.
If you like this then why not look have a look at my other soups.
The Cheesy Roasted Vegetable Soup Recipe:
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper deseeded and chopped into chunks
- 1 yellow bell pepper deseeded and chopped into chunks
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic left in the skin
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 red onion peeled and chopped into wedges
- 1 litre vegetable stock (use vegetable bouillon for gluten free)
- 35 g grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F
- Place the chunks of sweet potato, red and yellow bell peppers, carrots and garlic cloves (skin on) on a large baking tray. Drizzle on the olive oil and sprinkle on the salt, pepper, cumin and paprika. Toss it all together using your hands, then place in the oven for 20 minutes, turning everything over after 10 minutes.
After the 20 minutes, add the red onion wedges and toss everything together again so the onion also gets coated in oil. Put back into the oven for a further 10-12 minutes until the vegetables are tender and slightly charred at the edges. Take out of the oven.
- Put quarter of a cupful of the vegetables to one side and place the rest in a large saucepan. Squeeze the garlic out of their skins into the pan too. Pour in the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for five minutes. Turn off the heat and then blend with a hand blender.
- Stir in the parmesan, season to taste and top with the reserved roasted vegetables. Serve with extra parmesan.
Nutrition info is for one serving of this recipe.
Tools used (fyi these are affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps me to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running x)