These stuffed cheesy breads with spinach and bacon use part-baked petit pans that cook at the same time as the gooey filling. Perfect for game day!!
The only reason I EVER buy those part baked petit pains in the store is for these stuffed breads (oh and these stuffed breads). Filled with crispy bacon, wilted spinach and melted cheese they turn those pallid-looking, play-doh smelling rolls into the most amazing lunch!
I made these last week when we had some guests, There were certainly lots of oohs and ahhs as the bacon sizzled, and also when the spinach was wilted down in that lovely bacon fat (I know I know - how to make a superfood into a superbad (but crazy-delicious) food).
These things are so easy to make, and if you can't be bothered with cooking the bacon and spinach, simply replace them with whatever you fancy -
- Ham and mushroom (no need to pre-cook the mushroom slices)
- Leftover chicken with chopped chillies
- Even good old tuna and sweetcorn work really well with the cheesy mixture in this recipe.
You can make them earlier in the day, then wrap and store them in the fridge until later - which makes them a perfect snack to serve when friends come over.
Serve them with soup for quick mid-week dinner. Oh the possibilities are endless 🙂
Play-doh bread is back in fashion!
The Stuffed Cheesy Breads with Spinach and Bacon Recipe:
Stuffed Cheesy Breads with Spinach and Bacon
- 4 part-baked petit pains or rolls - use the gluten-free part baked rolls if required, they're available in most larger stores
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 slices streaky bacon
- 2 cups washed baby spinach
- ½ cup (120g) cream cheese
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove - peeled and crushed
- ¾ firmly packed cup (75g) mozzarella cheese, grated
- ¾ firmly packed cup (75g) mature cheddar cheese, grated
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley to serve
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the bacon on a high heat until browned and crispy. Remove from the pan, discard all but 1 tbsp of fat from the pan and add in the spinach. Allow to wilt for 1-2 minutes (doesn't need to be on the hob), then remove from the pan. Chop both the bacon and spinach into small pieces.
- Take the part baked rolls out of the packaging and place on a chopping board. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut out an oblong hole from the top of the rolls. Scoop out the bread, ensuring you don’t pierce the bottom of the rolls. Place the rolls on a baking tray. Discard the scooped out bread.
- Mix together the cream cheese, mayonnaise and garlic in a bowl. Stir in the mozzarella and half the cheddar along with the black pepper, bacon and spinach. Spoon the mixture into the bread rolls and top with the remaining cheese.
- Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes – until the bread and cheese is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving.