Cream of Broccoli soup - with extra added veg! I add kale and cauliflower to my soup, plus a good handful of cheddar cheese. A real Winter comfort food favourite.
Oh. My. Yum.
Do you know how many veggies I can eat when they're whizzed up with cream and cheese and then topped with croutons, chilli flakes and little baby salad leaves?
A whole lot.
I like to think the extra added veggies balance out the cream and cheese, and if you wanted to get even more green in there, you could top with some spring onions (scallions) and pea shoots too.
I've got to admit, I sometimes top with crispy bacon, and let me tell you, that is divine!!
So what do we need to make this broccoli soup?
- A chopped onion lightly fried in a little oil to start off the soup
- Broccoli, cauliflower and kale for all of that lovely flavour and goodness
- Vegetable or chicken stock plus a little garlic salt, salt and pepper to simmer those veggies in (and add more flavour)
- Strong cheddar cheese and a little cream - to add that velvety richness that makes this soup ultra tasty and moreish
- Big chunks of bread to make into moreish croutons
How to make the soup (full instructions and quantities are in the recipe card below):
- Fry chopped onion gently in olive oil until softened.
- Add in the broccoli, cauliflower, stock and garlic salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes, then add in the kale and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Take the soup off the heat and whizz using a hand blender. Put back on the heat, add in the cheese, cream and a squeeze of lemon and stir until the cheese has melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Top with your favourite toppings! I love to fry up a few crispy croutons in a little oil:
Then add them to the soup with a drizzle of oil and cream, some baby salad leaves and a sprinkling of chilli flakes. That's just because I'm obsessed with toppings though! Leave it as it is, or just add one or two toppings if you like.
More ideas for toppings:
- Crumbled Stilton
- Crispy bacon (or bacon lardons)
- Fresh greens such as peashoots, spring onions (scallions), chives and/or finely chopped spinach
- Crispy buttered breadcrumbs
Cream of Broccoli Soup Video:
Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe:
Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion - peeled and chopped
- 1 large head of broccoli - outer leaves discard, chopped into small florets
- 1 regular head of cauliflower - outer leaves discard, chopped into small florets
- 1 litre (4 ¼ cups) hot vegetable or chicken stock - either homemade or use 2 stock cubes with water, use bouillon for gluten-free
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 90 g (3 packed cups) kale
- 100 g (1 packed cup) mature cheddar - grated
- 60 ml (¼ cup) double (heavy) cream
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil - to fry the croutons
- half of a ciabatta (about 70 g/ 2.5 oz) - cut into chunky cubes
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp double (heavy) cream
- pinch chilli flakes
- 10 g (¼ cup) baby salad leaves
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and fry the onion gently for 4-5 minutes until it starts to go translucent.1 tbsp olive oil, 1 large onion
- Add in the broccoli, cauliflower, stock, and garlic salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.1 large head of broccoli, 1 regular head of cauliflower, 1 litre (4 ¼ cups) hot vegetable or chicken stock, ½ tsp garlic salt
- Add in the kale and simmer for a further 5 minutes.90 g (3 packed cups) kale
- Whilst the soup is cooking, make the croutons. Heat the oil in a small frying pan over a high heat.1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Add the bread cubes, salt, and pepper and fry for 3-4 minutes, turning often until golden and crispy. Remove from the pan and place on kitchen paper to soak up excess oil.half of a ciabatta (about 70 g/ 2.5 oz), pinch salt and pepper
- Take the soup off the heat and carefully whizz using a hand blender.
- Put back on the heat, add in the cheese and cream and stir until the cheese has melted. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.100 g (1 packed cup) mature cheddar, 60 ml (¼ cup) double (heavy) cream, 1 tsp lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste
- Divide between bowls and swirl in a little olive oil and cream. Sprinkle on the croutons and chilli flakes and arrange a few baby salad leaves on top.1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp double (heavy) cream, pinch chilli flakes, 10 g (¼ cup) baby salad leaves
Can I make it ahead?Yes, you can make ahead, cool quickly, cover and refrigerate for 2-3 days. Reheat in a pan, stirring regularly, until piping hot. Add the toppings when you serve.
Can I freeze this broccoli soup?Yes. Cool quickly, cover and freeze. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then reheat in a pan, stirring regularly, until piping hot. Add the toppings when you serve.
Can I make it gluten free?Yes, use gluten free stock and ensure any toppings you're using are also gluten free (i.e gluten free ciabatta). Nutritional Information is per serving (this recipe serves 6) including toppings.
This recipe was first published in January 2016. Updated in January 2020 with new photos, tips and video.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.