These Chocolate S’mores Baked Doughnuts are delicious! The basic recipe for these oven-baked doughnuts is my favourite! Light, fluffy doughnuts every time!
This recipe was created in collaboration with Num Noms as part of their #NumNomsCrazyCreations campaign.
S’mores baked doughnuts are totally dangerous. A little nibble every time someone walks past the box in the kitchen, and twelve can be gone in less than 24 hours.
That might be ok for a family of six, but there are only four of us!
When Num Noms asked me to create a recipe based on their new Series 3 characters, I honed in on the doughnut and marshmallow straight away. I was sent some Num Noms so I could take a proper look, and the kids had them off me in no time, so in fairness it was a bit of a rushed decision (but definitely the right decision!).
By the next day the kids had written a script and were filming their own Num Noms stop-motion animation (I’ll have to share it with you guys once they’ve completed the voice-over bit – it’s so cute!). I’m pretty sure I just used to play with my barbie, or maybe my cassette tape collection at their age. I guess times change!
The doughnuts are light and fluffy – made with Greek yoghurt and coconut oil – which makes them so tender!
Whilst fried doughntuts are awesome (like these raspberry ripple ones), they take time – what with all the dough proving and kneading.
The dough for these doughnuts is ready to go in five minutes – just pipe it into a doughnut ring tray (a MUCH neater result when you pipe it in, rather than spoon it in) and bake them in the oven.
I make a dreamy chocolate ganache for the icing. Just heat some cream and add chocolate. Leave to melt then stir – and that’s it! Creamy, chocolate ganache – perfect for doughnut dipping (and strawberry, banana, breadstick and marshmallow dipping too).
I like to top with mini marshmallows, then scorch them slightly with a cooks blow torch. That’s totally optional though – they taste great even without blow torching them. Unfortunately you can’t put them under the grill/broiler to char, otherwise you’re at risk of burning the chocolate ganache. If you did want to grill them, then I’d suggest covering the doughnuts with marshmallows, to protect the chocolate (more marshmallows is never gonna be a bad thing).
Go crazy with those rainbow sprinkles!
The Chocolate S’mores Baked Doughnuts Recipe:
Chocolate S'mores Baked Doughnuts
- 200 g plain flour
- 120 g golden caster (or granulated) sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 140 g Greek yogurt
- 4 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 105 ml milk
- 150 ml double cream
- 175 g milk chocolate (or semi sweet chocolate), chopped into chunks
- Mini marshmallows
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 170c/325f Lightly oil two, 6-piece doughnut ring tins with vegetable oil or spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until combined. Add in the egg, yogurt, coconut oil and milk. Mix, using a spatula until everything is just combined.
- Spoon the doughnut batter into a piping bag (no tip required) or a sandwich bag with the corner cup off. You want the hole to be approx. ¾”. This makes it easier to fill the doughnut tins. Pipe the batter into each tin.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12-14 minutes, until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Whilst the doughnuts are cooking, make the glaze. Heat the cream in a saucepan until almost boiling (but don’t actually boil). Add the chocolate and place a lid on the pan. Leave for 10 minutes, then remove the lid and stir the now-melted chocolate into the cream.
- Take the doughnuts out of the oven, leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tray, before removing and cooling for another 5 minutes on a cooling rack.
- Give the glaze a mix, then tip the smooth side of the doughnuts into the glaze. Turn over and place back on the rack. Repeat with the rest of the doughnuts.
- Arrange mini marshmallows on top of the doughnuts, then use a cook’s blowtorch to lightly brown the marshmallows. Sprinkle the doughnuts with rainbow sprinkles and serve!