The versatile cauliflower! Fried until golden, then poached in stock - this Cauliflower Steak with Spicy Salsa Verde make great meatless Monday meal!
So sorry if you're a meat-hungry carnivore who just popped over when you saw the word 'steak' (try these short ribs if you're after something really meaty). Today I'm serving up cauliflower steak!
Meat free, gluten free, sugar free. OMG this dinner is angelic!
Don't worry I haven't lost the plot, Wednesday's recipe consists of pick n' mix sweets and lemonade.
I first made this recipe a few months ago for Superfood Magazine and it opened my eyes to another new way with cauliflower.
The possibilities are endless!
More Cauliflower Recipes
Stay updated with new recipes!
Subscribe to the newsletter to hear when I post a new recipe. I’m also on YouTube (new videos every week) and Instagram (behind-the-scenes stories & beautiful food photos).
Cauliflower Steak with Spicy Salsa Verde
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large cauliflower - cut into thick slices
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 120 ml ½ cup vegetable stock (use bouillon for gluten free)
Spicy salsa verde:
- 100 g 2 cups packed fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 5 spring onions/scallions - roughly chopped
- 2 green chillies - I used fresno, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic - peeled and roughly sliced
- 2 tsp fish sauce - replace with light soy sauce for vegetarian
- Juice of ½ a lime
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Make the salsa verde first. Place the coriander, basil, spring onions, chillies and garlic in a food processor and pulse until well chopped. Add in the fish sauce, lime juice, salt and pepper. Pulse again to combine.
- Heat the oil in a very large frying pan (skillet). Season the cauliflower with the salt and pepper and place in the hot pan. Fry on one side for 2-3 minutes until well browned, then turn over. Fry for another minute, then add in the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes until the cauliflower is tender (if you need to do this in two 2 batches, keep the first batch warm in a low oven).
- Place the cauliflower on a large serving plate and spoon on the salsa verde. Serve with a bean or leafy salad.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.