Moist and fluffy carrot and orange cupcakes with a hint of spice and lots of juicy raisins. These Carrot and Orange Cupcakes are all topped off with a zesty cream cheese frosting and orange wedges.
These are some dangerously addictive cupcakes. After scoffing down a few, I had to send the rest into work with Chris as we were in danger of eating the lot in less than 24 hours!
I first came up with this recipe for my friend Lucy over at her beautiful website Craftberry Bush. She really is one of the most talented artists I've seen - she's even got her own craft kits in the shops!
Lucy generously let's me post any recipes I write for her site onto my blog too, so I'm really chuffed to be sharing this recipe with you today.
We’re talking orange-infused raisins, a hint of spice, 3 whole carrots (which technically means these cupcakes are good for you – if you ignore the butter, cream cheese and sugar…..) and a creamy, sweet frosting, flecked with orange zest.
I'm pretty sure I could eat these things for breakfast every day, with a cup of steaming coffee (bliss).
Although they've got plenty of goodness in them in terms of the carrots, coconut oil, raisins and orange juice, you could make them even healthier by replacing the plain (all-purpose) flour with whole wheat. They'll still be moist and delicious (one of the great things about infusing the raisins in the orange juice).
Have a great weekend everyone! I'm determined to get my trainers on and go for a run over the weekend. School holidays are too easy an excuse to miss those gym trips (and to push aside the mindful eating. Too. Naughty.) and I need all the help I can get when I'm eating cakes like this for breakfast!!
The Carrot and Orange Cupcakes Recipe:
Carrot and Orange Cupcakes
- 90 ml orange juice
- 113 g raisins
- 230 g plain/all-purpose flour - (you can replace with whole wheat flour if preferred)
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp mixed spice - or pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs - mixed with a fork
- 150 g light brown sugar
- 120 ml coconut oil - (melted) or vegetable oil
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 195 g peeled and grated carrots - (about 3 medium carrots)
- 195 g butter, softened
- 300 g cream cheese
- 150 g powdered/icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange - chopped very finely (so it won’t clog up the piping bag)
- Slices of orange
- Place the orange juice and raisins in a small bowl and leave them to soak for 1-2 hours (up to overnight).
- Preheat oven to 425f (220c). Line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- In a large bowl add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice mix, and salt. Give them a mix to combine.
- Now add in the eggs, sugar, coconut oil, orange zest, vanilla extract, grated carrots and the raisins in orange juice (add the orange juice in too). Stir everything together using a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Divide the cake mix between the cupcake cases and place in the oven. Cook for 5 minutes, then turn the oven down to 350f (180c) and cook for a further 15-17 minutes. You can check the cupcakes are done by inserting a toothpick. If it comes out clean, they’re done.
- Place the cupcakes on a rack to cool completely.
- Make the frosting by beating the butter in a mixer or with a whisk until soft. Add in the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract and beat until soft and creamy, then stir in the orange zest.
- Spoon the frosting into a piping bag with a wide, plain nozzle. Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes, starting from the outside and working towards the centre. Top each cupcake with a small wedge of orange and serve!