Crispy baked chicken pieces smothered in a spicy, creamy bang bang sauce. A delicious lunch or appetizer!
I'll show you how to make this crispy chicken in the oven, but I've also included instructions on how to fry it if you prefer.
I've been going through a bit of a Bang Bang sauce obsession lately. First it was the Bang Bang Shrimp, now it's the chicken, and I've got a cauliflower version coming out soon too!
I love those crispy chicken bites, drizzled in plenty of sauce on top of a simple green salad for a sumptuous lunch or dinner.
🔪 How to make Baked Bang Bang Chicken
***Full recipe with detailed steps in the recipe card at the end of this post.***
First the chicken is coated - by dredging in cornflour, then a seasoned buttermilk mixture and finally in a seasoned panko mixture. Then it's baked in the oven until crisp.
Because the chicken is being baked in the oven, I also like to add a couple of tablespoons of oil to the panko mixture, This means you don't have to drizzle, brush or spray on oil before it goes in the oven.
Once the chicken is cooked, it comes out of the oven and is drizzled with a really simple Bang Bang sauce - made of a mixture of mayonnaise, sweet chilli sauce, Sriracha and honey.
I love to sprinkle on some spring onions and freshly sliced chillies before serving.
👩🍳PRO TIP If you prefer to fry the chicken, simply leave the olive oil out of the panko coating. Coat the chicken as per the rest of the recipe, and shallow fry in about 1cm of oil in a large frying pan, until the chicken is golden and no longer pink in the middle.
🍽️ What to serve it with
- A simple Green Salad
- With some homemade Crispy Chips
- On toasted Brioche Buns with piles of crispy lettuce
- Wrapped in some lovely flatbreads or tortillas to make Bang Bang Chicken Tacos.
What's your preference - baked or fried?
📺 Watch how to make it
🍲 More fantastic Crispy Chicken recipes
Stay updated with new recipes!
Subscribe to the newsletter to hear when I post a new recipe. I’m also on YouTube (new videos every week) and Instagram (behind-the-scenes stories & beautiful food photos).
Bang Bang Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts - - approx. 525g/1.1lbs, chopped into bite-size chunks
- 3 tbsp cornflour - cornstarch in USA
- 120 ml (½ cup) buttermilk
- 1 egg
- ¾ tsp garlic salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 150 g (3 cups) panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp celery salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Bang Bang Sauce:
- 120 ml (½ cup) mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha chilli sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 4 spring onions - scallions, sliced
- 1 red chilli - thinly slices
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Start by making the bang bang sauce. Place the 120ml (½ cups) mayonnaise, 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce, 1 tbsp sriracha and 1 tsp honey in a small bowl and mix together, then put to one side while you make the crispy chicken.
- Place the cornflour in one bowl.
- Place the 120ml (½ cup) buttermilk, 1 egg, ¼ tsp garlic salt, ¼ tsp white pepper and ½ tsp salt in a second bowl and lightly whisk to combine.
- Place the 150g (3 cups) panko, 1 tsp paprika, remaining ½ tsp of salt, ½ tsp pepper, ½ tsp garlic salt, ½ tsp celery salt, ¼ tsp white pepper and 2 tbsp of olive oil in a third bowl and mix together until the olive oil is combined with the breadcrumbs evenly.
- Dredge the chicken pieces in the cornflour, then dip in the buttermilk mixture to coat and finally coat the chicken in the panko mixture.
- Place the coated chicken on a baking tray.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and cook for 20 minutes, until no longer pink in the middle.
- Transfer the cooked crispy chicken to a serving bowl and drizzle over half the sauce.
- Sprinkle over the spring onions and sliced chilli, then serve with the remaining bang bang sauce for dipping.
Turn a couple of times during cooking, and cook until golden and no longer pink in the middle. This should take about 5-7 minutes. An even quicker shortcut: Use ready coated/breaded chicken pieces (nuggets, tenders, strips, mini fillets all work). Cook them as per the packet instructions and serve drizzled with the bang bang sauce and topped with the spring onions (scallions) and sliced chillies. Nutritional information is approximate, per serving (serves 4). This includes using all of the sauce.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.
Jennifer Fowler says
Was a little bit fiddle with all the dishes, but worth the end result.
Thank you for introducing us to bang bang sauce, it is absolutely delicious.
We enjoyed it with this gorgeous crispy chicken and can't wait to make it again😋