This Vegetarian Loaded Mexican Tortilla Pan dinner is packed with flavour and loads of healthy goodies! A real treat that won’t make you feel that you’re missing out on meat. Plus it’s ready in 20 minutes!
It’s vegetarian week, so we’re upping our target of one-day-a-week of meat-free eating!
This week I’ll be posting THREE scrumptious vegetarian recipes, that have passed the ‘carnivore-of-a-husband taste test’.
We’re starting off with this veggie tortilla pan! Packed with tomatoes, courgette, peppers, carrot and beans, we’re getting some serious five-a-day brownie points.
All made in one pan, stacked up with tortillas, topped with melty, bubbling cheese and finished off with a big pile of extra toppings, like red onion, avocado, chillies and fresh coriander. This quick dinner is the perfect mid-week meal for a hungry family.
Here’s a quick visual of the process steps. There’s also a full video below.
–>If you’re interested in increasing your vegetarian meals, check out the National Vegetarian Week website and sign up to the newsletter to receive info on tips, competitions and recipes.<–
Here is the video:
Are you a vegetarian or do you try to eat some meat-free meals?
I’d love to know some of your favourites!
Here’s a sneak peak of what’s coming tomorrow…..
The Vegetarian Loaded Mexican Tortilla Pan Recipe:
This Vegetarian Loaded Mexican Tortilla Pan dinner is packed with flavour and loads of healthy goodies! A real treat that won't make you feel that you're missing out on meat. Plus it's ready in 20 minutes!
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion peeled and diced
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped into chunks
- 1 courgette chopped into chunks
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 red or green chilli chopped
- 2 x 400g (14oz) tins of good-quality chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g (14oz) tin of kidney beans or mixed beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp honey
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 25 g of vegetarian Cheddar cheese grated
- 4 tbsp double (heavy) cream
- 1 Pinch of salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp soured cream
- 2 flour tortillas (use gluten free tortillas if required)
- 100 g of mixed vegetarian Cheddar and vegetarian red Leicester grated
- 1 Small bunch fresh coriander (cilantro) roughly chopped
- 1 fresh red chilli (I liked Fresno chillies) sliced
- 1 ripe avocado de-stoned, scooped out and sliced
- ½ small red onion peeled and thinly sliced
- In a large frying pan, heat up the oil over a medium heat and add in the onion and carrot. Cook for 5 minutes until the onions start to soften.
- Add in the garlic, yellow pepper and courgette. Stir and cook for 2 minutes, then add the cumin, cinnamon, ground coriander and chilli. Stir and cook for another minute, then stir in the tinned tomatoes, kidney or mixed beans, honey, salt and pepper. Bring to a bubble and allow to simmer for 10 minutes, whilst you mix your cheese sauce.
- In a bowl, mix the 25g cheese, double cream, salt, pepper and soured cream. This is your cheese sauce – it will be a thick, spreadable consistency.
- Now it's time to layer up. Spoon out half of your vegetable sauce from the pan, into a bowl, and flatten out the remaining sauce in the pan. Place one tortilla on top of the sauce in the pan, then spread half of the cheese sauce on top of the tortilla. Top with the remaining vegetable sauce from the bowl. Then place your second tortilla on top, followed by the rest of the cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle on the 100g mixed cheese and place the pan on a medium-to-high heat for a minute until the sauce starts to bubble.
- Place the pan under a grill for a couple of minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Serve from the pan, topped with fresh coriander, the sliced chilli, avocado and red onion.
Nutritional Information is per serving.