These Healthy Nachos with Salsa Verde are crunchy, spicy, creamy and full of flavour. What's more, they're healthy too!
Nachos are irresistible. We're all in agreement here right?
We go to a fabulous Mexican restaurant, looking forward to all of the delights on offer, but it's almost impossible to resist the nachos! Then we eat all of those nachos, and we're too full to enjoy the juicy steak, spicy rice, 3 other sides that would be a shame not to try, and the bite of oversized-burrito from my husband's plate that we know he won't mind us nicking.....
Yes, you can replace 'we' with 'I' in everything I just said.
Oh nachos, you're a wickedly unhealthy curse on us all, that i'll continue to order because I never learn.
As much as I love making chilli-cheese strewn nachos at home (from my husband's legendary leftover chilli), I know they're not exactly a nutritious lunch or snack.
So I decided to come up with this Healthy Nachos with Salsa Verde, a healthy version!
Wholemeal pita bread strips tossed in a little olive oil and a couple of spices, then baked until golden:
I could eat them on their own, straight from the oven.
But topped with cool (yet spicy) salsa verde:
Plus a little creme fraiche, some juicy tomatoes and a sprinkling of cheddar?
Yeah, they're addictive too!
A fresh, simple, nutritious lunch that won't leave you feeling like you need to spend the rest of the day napping.
More Mexican Inspired Recipes:
If, like me, you love cooking Mexican food then why not check out these other Mexican inspired recipes:
- Chris famous Chilli Con Carne Recipe
- Our Quick and Easy Chicken Fajitas - always a hit with the kids too
- Mexican Chicken Skewers - great on the BBQ
- Fish Tacos - a favourite of Chris and I from our trip to Morro Bay CA
- Vegetarian Loaded Tortilla Pan
- Mexican Shakshuka
- Oh and if you have a little extra time this Slow Cooked Pork and Beef Chilli is AMAZING!
Stay updated with new recipes!
Subscribe to the newsletter to hear when I post a new recipe. I’m also on YouTube (new videos every week) and Instagram (behind-the-scenes stories & beautiful food photos).
Hope you enjoy, and have a lovely weekend everyone!
Healthy Nachos with Salsa Verde
Pita Chip 'Nachos':
- 5 Wholemeal Pita breads - gluten free pita bread works fine too if required
- 2 ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 100 g (2 packed cups) of fresh coriander
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 5 spring onions/scallions - roughly chopped
- 1 green chilli - roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic - peeled and roughly sliced
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- juice of ½ a lime
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp creme fraiche - full fat or low fat is fine
- 25 g (¼ packed cup) mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 12 vine-ripened cherry tomatoes - cut into quarters
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F (fan).
- Slice the wholemeal pita breads into strips and place on a large baking tray. Drizzle over the oil, then sprinkle on the paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Use your hands to toss everything together and then spread it all out into one layer. Place in the oven to cook for 5-8 minutes - until the pita chips are golden brown (keep an eye on them after 4 minutes to ensure they don't burn).5 Wholemeal Pita breads, 2 ½ tbsp olive oil, ½ tsp paprika, ¼ tsp cumin, ¼ tsp salt, Pinch of black pepper
- Whilst the pita chip nachos are cooking, make the salsa verde. Place all of the salsa verde ingredients into a food processor or mini chopper and pulse until chopped finely. You'll probably have to scrape down the sides a couple of times to get it to come together. If it looks very dry add a tbsp of cold water (but no more, or the salsa verde will make the nachos soggy).100 g (2 packed cups) of fresh coriander, 10 fresh basil leaves, 5 spring onions/scallions, 1 green chilli, 1 clove garlic, 2 tsp fish sauce, juice of ½ a lime, pinch of salt and pepper
- When the nachos are cooked, take them out of the oven and leave to cool. Then pile them in a shallow bowl. Dot half of the salsa verde on top, then mix 1 tbsp of the creme fraiche with the remaining salsa verde and dot that on top.3 tbsp creme fraiche
- Spoon on the remaining creme fraiche, then top with grated cheese and cherry tomatoes before serving.25 g (¼ packed cup) mature cheddar cheese, grated, 12 vine-ripened cherry tomatoes
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.