We're going to let the slow cooker (crockpot) do all the work to make this slow cooker chicken and vegetable soup. It's a great way to make a tasty, nutritious meal using inexpensive cuts of meat. Simple, hearty comfort food. I love to serve it with a big wedge of fresh bread.
This is a comforting chicken vegetable soup, that's simmered to perfection with tender shreds of chicken with chunks of hearty vegetables in a rich and hearty chicken broth.
It's winter comfort food perfection.
In order to make this crockpot chicken soup we're going to be using:
- Veggies (I've got potatoes, carrots, celery and a medium onion)
- Good quality chicken stock.
- Bone-in chicken pieces
- seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic, and bay leaf)
Note on the Chicken 🍗
I'm using bone in and skin on chicken thighs and drumstick, and not chicken breast for this recipe. Having the bones and skin on pieces are going to add extra flavour and nutrition to the broth as it cooks and these cuts also relatively inexpensive too.
📺 Watch how to make it
Full recipe with detailed steps in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Add all of the ingredients into the slow cooker.
- Place the lid on and simmer for 6 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Remove and shred the chicken.
- Stir it all back together then serve topped with a sprinkling of fresh herbs.
👩🍳PRO TIP Give it a taste after the initial cooking time and add a little more salt and pepper if needed. The saltiness of the soup will depend on the stock you're using so don't over season at the beginning.
This is such a simple recipe, all of the ingredients go into the slow cooker (crockpot) and gently simmer together for 6 hours.
🍽️ What to serve it with
You can't go wrong serving this slow cooker chicken and vegetable soup up with a nice wedge of crusty bread.
It tastes like a warm hug in a bowl, juicy tender chicken, loads of veggies, and flavorful stock coming together for a cozy and satisfying bowl of soup.
Stay updated with new recipes!
Subscribe to the newsletter to hear when I post a new recipe. I’m also on YouTube (new videos every week) and Instagram (behind-the-scenes stories & beautiful food photos).
Slow Cooker Chicken & Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 4 chicken thighs - with skin on and bone in
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 1 onion - peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - peeled and minced
- 2 sticks celery - sliced
- 3 medium carrots - roughly chopped
- 2 medium potatoes - peeled and chopped into bite-size chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 litre (4 ¼ cups) strong chicken stock - (I used water plus 4 stock cubes)
- Freshly chopped parsley or thyme
- Crusty bread
- Add the chicken thighs, chicken drumsticks, onion, garlic, celery, carrots, potatoes, bay leaf, salt, pepper and chicken stock to the slow cooker.4 chicken thighs, 4 chicken drumsticks, 1 onion, 2 cloves garlic, 2 sticks celery, 3 medium carrots, 2 medium potatoes, 1 bay leaf, ¼ tsp salt, ½ tsp black pepper, 1 litre (4 ¼ cups) strong chicken stock
- Give it all a good mix then place the lid on and cook for 6 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Remove the lid and take out the chicken thighs and drumsticks using a set of tongs. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Place the chicken pieces on a chopping board. Remove the skin, then shred the chicken meat, using two forks.
- Place the chicken meat back into the slow cooker and stir together.
- Divide the chicken soup between bowls and top with fresh parsley or thyme.Freshly chopped parsley or thyme
- Serve it with a big wedge of crusty bread.Crusty bread
Can I Make Ahead?Yes, you can make the soup, then cool, cover and refrigerate. Reheat in a pan until piping hot. Nutritional information is approximate, per serving and excludes the bread for serving.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.