An absolute classic in the UK, salad cream has been a UK sauce favourite for many years.
However, it's come to my attention that it's actually pretty difficult to buy outside of the UK. So I wanted to share my homemade version - perfect to use as part of my creamy potato salad!
I'll share some of my other favourite uses for it below too!
What is salad cream?
Salad cream is a UK condiment with a creamy-yet-tangy taste. The tangyness comes from vinegar. It works particularly well with crunchy salads and meat, cheese or tuna sandwiches.
It was first created by Heinz over 100 years ago (in 1914).
I've loved salad cream since I was a kid (corned beef and salad cream butties are the best!!). The original recipe is vegetarian, but I use Worcestershire sauce and anchovy in my version to give a real depth of tangy flavour.
📋 What do we need?
Simple store-cupboard ingredients. We don't need to make emulsions from eggs, vinegar and oil for this salad dressing - as we're including mayonnaise in the ingredients (which is an emulsion).
🔪 How to make it
Full recipe with detailed steps in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- First we mash one or two anchovies in a bowl. I like to use two as I like the slightly stronger taste, but if I'm making it ahead, I'll just use one, as the anchovy taste gets stronger over the course of a day or so.
- Add mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar and a good pinch of salt.
- Stir together and serve!
🍽️ What to serve it with
- Use as part of my easy potato salad
- As a sauce for dipping vegetable crudités into (I love slathering it onto celery)
- To dip that tuna cheese toastie into!
- As a sauce for any number of sandwiches (for example: cheese, corned beef or ham and beetroot).
- Drizzled on a hard boiled egg 😋
📺 Watch how to make it
🍲 More fantastic Sauce recipes
Stay updated with new recipes!
Subscribe to the newsletter to hear when I post a new recipe. I’m also on YouTube (new videos every week) and Instagram (behind-the-scenes stories & beautiful food photos).
Easy Salad Cream Recipe
- Place the anchovies in bowl and mash them up with the back of a fork until they completely break apart.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients - 3 tbsp mayonnaise, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, ½ tsp Dijon mustard, ½ tsp white wine vinegar and ⅛ tsp salt.
- Stir together until combined, then serve.
- If making ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Give it a stir before serving.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.