Ok yes, these pick and mix candy popsicles are pretty naughty, but they’re so much fun for treat day!
I’ve got to admit, I was cringing as I was making these Pick and Mix Candy Popsicles ice lollies. Haribo tangfastics, rainbow belts and gummie bears – all mixed together with fizzy lemonade.
It’s the stuff of parent’s nightmares.
I know what my kids are like when they’re eaten too many sweets, so I try to keep a limit on them, but my daughter was having a birthday sleepover, and she wanted something a little outrageous to surprise her friends.
The other alternatives were:
- A bucket of strawberry laces
- Squirty cream desserts – made directly in mouths – with sprinkles and sauce
I think I chose the best of the sugar-laden bunch.
These lollies are super simple to make, and the kids will adore you for making them. It’s probably a once-a-year thing though.
I find it best to use smaller/thinner sweets. The really chunky ones (like fizzy cherries) harden up quite a lot in the freezer, and you’ll find the lemonade melts way before they start to soften up.
It’s also worth using a combination of sugar-coated sweets and non-sugar coated sweets. Two reasons:
- Sugar lowers the freezing point. More sugar means the popsicles take longer to freeze, and will defrost quicker once out of the freezer.
- The fizzy sugar dissolves in the lemonade – so too many sugar coated sweets will make the popsicles really really sweet.
Are you brave enough to try them? Or are you cursing me for creating such a horrific popsicle? 🙂
The pick and mix candy popsicles Recipe:
Pick and Mix Candy Popsicles
A selection of jelly sweets. I used:
- 160 g Haribo tangfastics
- 100 g gummie bears
- 75 g fizzy rainbow belts
- 680 ml lemonade
- Fill the ice pop molds with a selection of sweets.
- Fill to the top with lemonade, then push in the sticks.
- Freeze for at least 5 hours before serving.
Tools used (fyi these are Amazon affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps me to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running x)
|Norpro Ice Lolly Maker|