That Chinese take-away might be tempting, but this Honey and Garlic Chicken Stir Fry with Cauliflower Egg Fried Rice is just as tasty, and so much better for you!
Not long till it’s holiday time, and I really want to feel good in pretty fitted t-shirts and the dreaded swimming costume!
This is one of my lighter options for a quick and tasty mid-week meal that satisfies the take-away craving, but without that horrible too-full feeling afterwards!
I know cauliflower rice has been doing the rounds for ages now, but I think it’s here to stay!
It’s always the first thing I think of when I’m planning meals that are easy-on-the-waistline.
I use chicken thighs in this stir fry – as they’re lovely and tender. You can replace with chicken breast if you like, but they can have a tendency to be a little drier when fried.
I like to add plenty of veggies – peppers, mushrooms, kale, mangetout – and cook them up with a simple Chinese-inspired sauce using soy sauce (replace with tamari for gluten free), garlic, ginger, honey and a few other goodies.
Make sure you have plenty of cauliflower in if you’re serving more than two people. One small cauliflower, when grated, does cook down a fair bit, and will serve 2 people (three at a push). I fry mine up with a little olive oil, egg and soy sauce.
If you do happen to have any cauliflower left over, my cauliflower arancini makes filled with boursin cheese, makes a tasty (and not too naughty) snack!
I first made this recipe for Superfood Magazine.
The Honey and Garlic Chicken Stir Fry with Cauliflower Egg Fried Rice Recipe:
Honey and Garlic Chicken Stir Fry with Cauliflower Egg Fried Rice
- 1 tbsp oil vegetable or olive oil
- 450 g chicken thigh fillets, chopped into chunks
- 10 button mushrooms sliced
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce use tamari for gluten free
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled and minced
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger peeled and minced
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp mirin usually gluten free, but best to check
- ½ tsp Chinese rice vinegar usually gluten free, but best to check
- 100 g mangetout
- 1 yellow pepper deseeded and sliced
- 1 red pepper deseeded and sliced
- 100 g kale, chopped
- 1 tbsp cornflour/cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp cold water (optional)
Cauliflower egg fried rice:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large eggs lightly whisked with a fork
- 1 large or 2 small cauliflower outer leaves removed, grated
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce use tamari for gluten free
- pinch of black pepper
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the chopped chicken and fry until lightly browned all over. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further minute.
- Add the soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, mirin and Chinese rice vinegar. Bring to a gently boil and allow to bubble for 3-4 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile place another large frying pan on a high heat for the cauliflower rice. Add the oil, then add in the eggs and fry, moving around the pan until lightly scrambled. Add in the grated cauliflower and stir. Add in the soy sauce and pepper, and keep moving the cauliflower rice around the pan until hot throughout. This should take around 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- By now the sauce with the chicken should have thickened and caramelised slightly. Add in the mangetout, yellow pepper and red pepper. Stir and cook for a further 2 minutes, then add in the kale and cook for another minute until just wilted. If the vegetables release too much liquid to the stir fry, you can stir in a little of the cornflour mixture right at the end.
- Serve the chicken with the cauliflower fried rice.