Salmon has become a bit of a staple at our house. In my unrelenting effort to reduce how much meat we eat, I’m trying to get us to one veggie day a week and one fish day.
Salmon tends to be the fish of choice because I know everyone will eat it. So when I see sides of salmon on offer at the supermarket, I always grab one.
Sometime I’ll cut it up into portions, but this time I decided to cook the whole thing. It would have been lovely to have served it on a platter on the table – but unfortunately we’re still without a table!
It should be delivered tomorrow, so I can’t wait to get everyone eating there again and saving dinners-on-laps for the occasional movie night treat.
I was thinking of doing some kind of crispy, herb topping for the salmon, but then I was reminded of the garlic bread spaghetti I made a while back. If you’ve haven’t seen the recipe, it involves putting a garlic baguette in the food processor and pulsing it until it turns to crumbs. Then crisping the crumbs in a pan and serving with spaghetti and chilli and parmesan. Simple perfection.
I went with the same approach for the salmon. Blended up the garlic bread (I added a little paprika for a richer colour) and topped the salmon that already been brushed with a little bit of olive oil.
I wanted a little oil on the salmon make sure the crumbs stick. No more oil is required, as there’s already butter in the garlic bread. You probably won’t need to season either – as the garlic bread already contains salt and garlic.
Oven cook until the salmon is just done and the breadcrumbs are crispy, then sprinkle with some lemon zest.
I served it with a roasted veg and cous cous and it was a total hit (I even saved some for a lunchtime salad the next day).
The Garlic Bread Crusted Salmon Recipe:
Garlic Bread Crusted Salmon
- 1 kg (about 2.2 pounds) boneless side of salmon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic baguette - refrigerator temperature
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Small bunch parsley - roughly chopped
- Zest of one lemon
- Preheat the oven to 170c/325f.
- Place the salmon, skin-side-down on a large bakng tray. Brush the oil on the salmon.
- Place the garlic baguette in a food processor with the paprika. Pulse until it turns to breadcrumbs.
- Spoon the breadcrumb mixture over the salmon. Push onto the salmon slightly with your hands so the curmbs stick to the oil.
- Place in the oven, uncovered and bake for 25-30 mins - until the salmon is just cooked in the middle and the crust is golden brown.
- Take out of the oven and top with chopped parsley and lemon zest. Serve with roasted veg and cous cous or potato wedges if you like.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.