This post was created in collaboration with Grana Padano and Prosciutto di San Daniele.
Oh my gosh, I’ve eaten so many cakes and treats this month, and it’s still two weeks until Christmas! Time to dial it back a bit, but without missing out on tasty meals of course (yeah, put those rice crackers away please).
Thin slices of fennel – which is a totally underrated veg in my opinion – gives a lovely crunch and a tiny bit of heat to this salad. Add in some rocket for a little more heat, plus a few other baby leaves (have you tried baby kale leaves? so good!), then top with thinly sliced apple for sweetness, and lots of shaved Grana Padano and Prosciutto di San Daniele slices.
Salty-meets-sweet-meets-spicy. That’s my kind of salad!
I’ve topped the salad with walnuts and a creamy-curry dressing, which was inspired by a trip to Morro Bay in California that we went on a few years ago. It may sound a little unusual, but works beautifully alongside those robust flavours in the salad.
Plus it adds that final layer of spicy-warmth, which makes this salad a great choice even on a cold day!
A lighter meal, without missing on on taste.
and probably leaves enough room for a sneaky frangipane mince pie ????
If you like this then why not try this delicious winter nourish bowl.
Click here for more info on Grana Padano.
Click here for more info on Prosciutto di San Daniele.
The Fennel and Apple Winter Salad Recipe:
Fennel and Apple Winter Salad with Grana Padano and Prosciutto Di San Daniele
- 1 red/pink apple such as Jazz or Pink Lady
- 1 green apple such as Granny Smith
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 large head of fennel
- 160 g baby salad leaves (I used a mix of baby kale, mizuna, rocket, spinach and baby chard)
- 1 stick celery sliced
- 3 radishes thinly sliced
- 20 walnuts
- 9-12 slices Prosciutto di San Daniele
- 75 g Grana Padano cheese shaved (using a vegetable peeler)
- 3½ tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
- Juice of 1 small lime
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 small garlic clove peeled and crushed
- 2 tsp honey
- First make the curry dressing by mixing all of the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Now make the salad. Slice the red and green apples into thin slices. Place in a bowl with the lemon juice. Toss together to coat the apple slices (this will prevent the apple slices from turning brown).
- Take the fennel and slice off the green fronds.Cut a slice off the base. Slice the fennel in half length-ways, then cut out the core at the base of the fennel (this part is a little tough). Cut each of the two fennel halves into thin slices.
- Now it's time to assemble. Divide the salad leaves between 3 or 4 bowls. Top with the fennel slices, followed by the celery and sliced apple.
- Toss everything together then arrange the radish slices and walnuts on top.
- Gently fold the Prosciutto di San Daniele slices and arrange on top of each bowl, then sprinkle with shaved Grana Padano.
- Drizzle on a little of the salad dressing and serve immediately.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.