An easy to prepare Salmon Sushi Bowl – all of the flavours of Sushi, in minimal time. Plus a 2-minute soy and ginger dressing that tastes way better than those little soy sauce plastic fish thingies!
I’m still trying to get over that imposter syndrome feeling of having my own book out. Sometimes I wish I was extrovert enough to shout it from the rooftops, but I’m definitely little miss introvert. Quietly hoping that it’s a success without me having to talk about it to lots of people (or even worse – stand up in front groups of people to talk about it. Worst nightmare!).
Fortunately Chris is amazing at getting me to edge out of my comfort zone on occasion (he’ll be supporting me when I’m on stage at the Big Feastival in August), and I always feel great afterwards, but then I’m happy to get straight back into my little cozy office or the sanctuary of my kitchen and hide again.
But…… that means I can share more recipes with you guys!
This Salmon Sushi Bowl is the second recipe I’ve shared from my book (the first being my Chimichurri Steak Salad) I’ll probably end up sharing 3 or 4 altogether over the next few months, but I wanted to share this one with you whilst the weather is still lovely and warm.
We also made a video for the Sushi Salad (incidentally, making recipe videos also used to fill me with introvert dread, but I’m so used to it that I don’t even think of it now. I guess repeatedly being exposed to certain situations really does help) – check it out below.
It’s finished with little slices of smoked salmon (I know, smoked salmon isn’t normally used for sushi, but it works brilliantly and is much easier to find than sushi-grade sliced salmon).
Want to see some more recipes pics from the book?
Garlic Herb and New Potato Salad – with a buttery warm dressing:
Coconut Shrimp Salad – with a sweet sriracha dressing:
Warm Bacon and Pea Salad with a light lemon dressing:
You’ll find these recipes plus loads more (75 recipes altogether with 70+ of them NOT on the blog) all with their own photo in my new Seriously Good Salads book.
The Salmon Sushi Bowl Recipe:
Salmon Sushi Bowl
- 2 cups (about 350g) uncooked sushi rice
- 3 cups cold water
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 7 oz (198g) smoked salmon cut into 2.5cm pieces
- ½ cucumber seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1 large cooked beetroot peeled and shredded
- 1 large carrot peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup (150g) cooked edamame beans
- 4 radishes thinly sliced
- 2 sheets nori seaweed cut into 1cm strips or small triangles
- 1 oz (28g) pickled sushi ginger
- 1 tsp mixed black and white sesame seeds
- 1 tsp shichimi togarashi
- Rinse the sushi rice under cold water and place in a saucepan. Add the cold water. Bring to a boil, cover, then lower the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave, covered, for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the lid and let the rice cool to room temperature, then gently stir the rice vinegar, sugar and salt into the rice.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients.
- Divide the rice among 4 bowls and top with the salmon, cucumber, shredded beet, carrot, edamame and radish slices.
- Add a few nori strips to each bowl, reserving the rest for serving. Place a few slices of sushi ginger in each bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds and shichimi togarashi.
- Serve with the dressing and extra nori strips.
Tip:A mandolin (<-- affiliate link) makes preparing the vegetable strips much easier
Nutritional information is per serving.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.