Griddled Halloumi and Peach Salad with Homemade Lemon Pesto – This griddled salad with halloumi, peach and courgette makes a delicious, filling vegetarian dinner!
Who’d have thought that halloumi and peach would pair so well.
The soft sweet juiciness of summer-ripe peaches is one of my favourite fruits. I remember holidaying in Turkey about 7 years ago and the local market sold the biggest peaches I’d ever seen. Bigger than a baseball! They we just the most luscious things ever, and we had them for breakfast most days. In fact I think that’s where I got the idea for my cream cheese, honey and nectarine toastie.
Back home I have to settle for the smaller versions, but I’ll only ever buy the really juicy ripe ones (unless I’m cooking a peach tart, where you can fake the ripeness!)
I love the fact that this salad is a little bit different. Absolutely bags of flavour with lots of different tastes that work together in a filling and satisfying salad.
You can use a little shop-bought pesto if you prefer not to make it yourself (or how about my chilli and walnut pesto!). You could also griddle the peaches too if you like.
The halloumi, peach, courgette and asparagus can also be cooked on the BBQ if, like us, you have your BBQ out whenever you can. The courgette burns quickly though, so be sure keep a really close eye on it.
I first made this recipe for Superfood magazine. Check it out for lots of yummy, healthy meals!
The Griddled Halloumi and Peach Salad with Homemade Lemon Pesto Recipe:
- 225 g (8oz) halloumi, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 15-20 spears of fine asparagus
- 1 courgette
- 100 g (3-4 cups) mixed salad leaves
- 1 peach de-stoned and sliced
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 packed cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp pine nuts
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp finely grated parmesan cheese use Italian-style vegetarian hard cheese for vegetarian version
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- First make the lemon pesto. Place the basil, garlic and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add the oil, parmesan and lemon juice and blend until finely chopped. Season to taste.
- Oil a griddle plate/pan and heat on a high heat. Place the slices of halloumi on the griddle and cook for 2-3 minutes each side until griddle lines appear. Remove from the griddle.
- Mix the oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Brush the asparagus with the oil and place on the griddle. Cook for 2-3 minutes, turning a couple of times until griddle marks appear. Remove from the griddle.
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel the courgette into long strips. Place the strips in the bowl with the seasoned oil. Gently stir to coat, then place the strips in a single layer on the griddle. Cook for 30-60 seconds until griddle lines appear. If the courgette is peeled very thinly, there is no need to turn it over. If it’s peeled a little thicker, turn it over and cook for a further 30 seconds on the other side. Remove from the griddle.
- Distribute the salad leaves between four plates and top with the halloumi, asparagus, courgette slices, peach slices, pine nuts and lemon zest. Serve with the lemon pesto.
Nutritional Information is per serving.